Chapter 24

Cammie POV

One month. It's been one month since I boarded that plane and came back to LA. I regret it every single day. I wish I would have just stayed, despite what she had said. I called her everyday for the next week, but she would never answer. I asked her mom and Casey how she was doing, and it was the same thing every time. They said she wasn't doing well. She would never come out of the bedroom. The day of the funeral came, and no one could get her to come. That night she got into the liquor cabinet after everyone went to bed. She drank so much that they had to take her to the hospital because they thought she had alcohol poisoning. 

I can't say that I'm mad at her, because that wouldn't be fair. I know that she is going through a hard time, but I hate that she won't let me in. I hate that she threw us away because of this. I don't even know if we're still together. Hell, I don't even know if she's going to come home. I spend every night going to sleep to the thought of her, and every morning I pray she's there when I open my eyes. She never is. 

"Have you talked to her?" I ask. 

Amy shakes her head, so does Ally. 

I sigh, "maybe I should just go back to Dallas." 

Amy and Ally both look at each other and then back at me, "that's not a good idea, Cammie." They were acting like they knew something I didn't.

"What? Why not?" I questioned. 

"You just need to let her come back on her own," Amy told me. 

I started tearing up, "I've tried. It's been a month. Isn't that enough time?" 

They came and hugged me, rubbing my back. Amy's phone rang and she jumped to pick it up. She went out in the hallway to answer it. Ally looked at me, "Cam, I've known Shannon for a long time. She just needs to get herself back together. I promise she hasn't forgotten about you." 

I nodded, "I hope you're right." 

A little while later, I decided to head back home. I know it's weird, but every time I went somewhere I secretly hoped Shannon would be waiting for me when I came back home. I got up off the couch and went to go put my shoes on. Amy walked through the door as soon as I did. "Where are you going?" She said, worried. 

"Home?" I chuckled. 

She frowned, "come on, just stay a little while longer." 

I gave her a confused look, "where did you even disappear to?" 

She grinned and I was still looking at her, confused. She stood facing me, with my back to the door. She didn't answer my question, but she quickly glanced from my eyes to the door and then back. Before I even had time to turn around, I felt a hand touch my hip. 

I felt like I was dreaming when I turned around and saw her. Her face was thinner and her skin looked pale. She looked sick, but she had a small smile on her face. My heart raced so fast I thought it was going to break through my rib cage. 

"Shannon?" I said in disbelief. 

She had a tear in her eye. She just nodded. I jumped into her arms and immediately started crying. She wrapped her arms around me and held on tight. I could tell she was crying, too, because I heard her sniffle against my neck. "I told you I would come home," I finally heard her voice. It was low and raspy, but it was still her voice. And I had missed it. 

"Take me home," I whispered to her, still in her arms. 

She nodded and we walked out of Amy's apartment. We walked down the hallway, out to the parking lot. There was an awkward tension in the air that I couldn't quite address. She seemed happy to see me, but she also seemed nervous or upset. Her eyes were heavy like she was tired. She didn't look well. 

"I missed you," I said, breaking the silence. 

She grabbed my hand and held it in hers. My whole body tingled when she touched me. She pursed her lips into a sad smile, "I did, too." I could hear her voice shake so I knew she was about to cry. I decided not to say anything else until we got home. 

We got inside and she took her things to the bedroom. I followed behind her. I didn't even want to let her out of my sight again, a month was too long. She set her suitcase next to the closet and turned back to me. "I'm sorry," she said, softly. 

I nodded and sat down on the bed, her sitting next to me. "I shouldn't have made you leave, and I should have answered your calls. I'm sorry I pushed you away," she spoke again. 

"I understand," I said. I wanted to scold her and tell her how much it hurt me having to walk away from her, but I couldn't. 

"Please forgive me, Cammie," she begged, she sounded so sad and so remorseful. 

I looked at her, I had no intentions of not forgiving her. One look in her eyes and the entire month of pain just vanished. I nodded and she placed a hand on my cheek. I leaned my head into her hand and we sat there for a moment, looking into each other's eyes. 

"Kiss me," I told her. I could tell she wanted to by the way she had glanced between my eyes and my lips, but she was probably hesitant not knowing if I wanted her to. Her eyes widened when I told her and a small smile grew on her face. 

She leaned in and gave me the softest kiss. Our lips barely touched, but we held it for a moment. I missed that. She started to pull away, but I shook my head and gently grabbed onto her shirt. "More," I whispered and she connected our lips again. This time it was a real kiss. She let herself feel it and I felt her body tense up. She pulled me into her and I straddled her waist. 

"Fuck," she whispered as she ran her hands up my sides and under my shirt. "You were everything that I needed and I pushed you away. I'm such an idiot," she spoke in between kisses. She sounded like she wanted to cry again. 

"We're here now, though," I told her, pushing her down on the bed. I didn't give her a chance to feel bad anymore, I just wanted her. I pinned her onto the bed and gave her lusty kisses. I stripped her shirt off and she squirmed as I kissed down her body and teased her. She gained control and flipped me on my back, doing just as I had done to her. 

She kissed me slowly. She started at my neck and move down my chest, my stomach, and then stopped when she got the waistline of my pants. She sighed and pushed herself up off of me. "I can't do this," she said. 

I sat up, confused, "wh-what?"

"I messed up, Cammie," she looked me in the eyes in a way she hadn't before. She looked angry and upset, but not with me. With herself. 

"What are you talking about?" 

She looked away from me, "I made a huge mistake." 

It was starting to irritate me, I started getting angry because I knew I wasn't going to like what she had to say. "Tell me what the fuck you're talking about Shannon." 

She looked directly in my eyes, "I had sex with someone else."