Section 8.3 of Chapter 8: Training and Interviews

8.3- On the martial arts mats of the Tribute Training Centre-TMI:

        Julian was sitting on one of the mats of the martial arts area, still in the Tribute Training Centre. He and Emma were patiently waiting for the instructions from the Capitol trainers. Julian spared a quick glance around and noticed that everyone stayed with the person from their world, as they were hesitant to make any other friends. Not that he didn't want to, but he did not want to kill friends, and from the looks of it the other Tributes felt the same way. Finally, the Capitol trainers stood in front and addressed the crowd. "Okay everyone, choose a training partner, we're going to practice some sparring today.", one of them said. The other one added "And please, try not to injure this partner or yourself. You will have plenty of time for pain in the Games." and waited, expecting a laugh. They didn't get one. Everyone chose the same person from their world that they were sitting with, as they had probably trained in hand-to-hand combat before. "Today, we'll be training military combatives. This combines elements of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai, Wrestling, and Boxing. Your goal is to make your opponent submit as if they were rendered incapacitated." Emma sighed in relief beside Julian, they had already trained these martial arts at the Los Angeles Institute when they were younger. The other trainer then said "We'll be going around seeing how bouts are going, and intervening where necessary. We also have medics on hand, some of the best in the Capitol. Go on then, start sparring." Emma and Julian faced each other on the mat they were on, then started circling each other. Julian knew Emma had very strong kicks, so he kept watching to see if her leg muscles would tense. However, he forgot to watch out for her upper body strength, and she got low and executed a perfect rugby tackle. She kept driving her shoulder into Julian's stomach, and wrapping her arms around his hips. Julian tumbled backwards, and Emma landed on top of him. After the take-down, she gained the dominant mount position and started striking Julian. Julian blocked Emma's strikes with his elbow, then sat up, using his forearm to push Emma upwards. But Emma was prepared for this, and let him stand up, while backing away. Julian took this as a cue to try to take Emma down, but he was not prepared for what she did next. She grabbed Julian's shoulders with both hands as he charged her, and she wedged her foot on Julian's stomach. She lifted her foot, using Julian's own weight against him, and flipped Julian over her head. Julian twisted, and then rolled into Emma, knocking her over. He attempted a submission hold, however. Emma countered this with a sweep, thus taking away Julian's balance and turning him over. Emma used a spinning back-fist punch to weaken Julian's knees, then grabbed him from behind, and took him down again. She wrapped her legs around Julian's torso, and as they struggled, managed to get her bare arm around Julian's neck. She brought her other arm to clasp her wrist, and pulled to choke Julian. He gasped and sputtered, face growing red, as Emma counted in her head '1...2....3...' and Julian tapped so she let go. As Emma wiped away her sweat, she extended a hand to Julian, who got up groggily. They hugged, then noticed everyone was staring at them, especially Emma. One of the trainers stood with their mouths open, then said "T-that... Is the fighting we're looking for." As everyone was shell-shocked, and as Julian regained his senses, he knew they were now targets.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------