Section 10.5 of Chapter 10: Second Day of the Games

10.5- Close to the Maze-LOTR:

                Sam Gamgee had escaped Mordor with Sonya quickly, after they had seen the Fell beasts take to the skies. The forest was thick, the treeline extended as far as the eye could see, possibly beyond. When they kept moving through the tangle of trees, they noticed the silhouette of another big wall up ahead. As they got closer, he saw Sonya suck in her breath when she looked up. He turned to her with a curious look and said "What's up?", Sonya looked up and said "The 300 foot-high walls..." Sam waited as Sonya took a gulp, then continued "... Of the Maze. The same Maze I had been trapped in for most of my life. The same Maze my previous partner had predicted we would see again." Sam looked back towards the walls of the Maze, and saw that it was grey stone but covered with ivy nearly as thick as the trees they had passed. And so when they went inside, Sam asked her "Does it still look the same to you?" Sonya replied "Yeah, nothing has changed, whoa this is eerie". Before they could venture further into the Maze, they heard voices behind them yell "Hey, there are people in there", and then came the sounds of footsteps pattering towards them. Sonya told Sam "Hey I know the way around here. Ben, I watched him training, he can kill us quickly if he wanted to. We gotta run, you up for it?" Sam nodded, so Sonya grabbed his arm and told him 'LET'S GO!" and so they did. They rounded corners, even had to backtrack a few times, but got to the open fields. That was when they realized that they had made a huge mistake. There were Grievers everywhere, Sam saw them as big bulbous creatures with mechanical components, and they all looked terrifying. He and Sonya started back up slowly, trying not to draw anything's attention. Sam fell, however, and when he got back onto his feet, he saw every single Griever was looking at them. They whirred and they clicked, and then they started moving towards the pair. Sonya and Sam ran away, and Sonya managed to find a good spot to climb the walls. She instructed Sam to use the ivy to get a better grip, and they both hauled themselves up. Sonya started climbing higher and higher, because she knew that the Grievers could also climb. Or at least, that's what Thomas had told her. All the while, she was relaying this to Sam, who was exerting a good lot of effort trying to get up. The Grievers had caught up to them now, and down below, they were still trying to figure out how to scale the high walls of the Maze. As if a light bulb had gone off in each of their mechanical heads, the Grievers inserted their spikes into the walls and started rolling up. Sam saw that Sonya had made the mistake of looking down, and she lost her grip on the ivy she was holding. Sam reached for her, but she had slipped far beyond his reach. She looked at him as she fell, with a panicked look in her eyes, and the Grievers stopped ascending the wall to notice that one of their targets had just fallen to their deaths. Sam looked away as a cannon shot rang out, pained at the fact that he had just lost a new friend. The Grievers turned their attention on him, and he kept climbing until he came to a tangle of vines that was sturdy enough and had ivy covering it. He hid inside as the Grievers passed where he lay hidden, and mourned the loss of Sonya to pass the time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------