Chapter 2: Day off

"Straighter Elli" Ms.Carson yells making me look up at my daughter who is currently learning a new dance routine.

I usually never stay during her practice and if I did, I would usually go on my phone to make time pass. To be honest I just wanted to see if I would really make the decision to move to New York. There could be many opportunities there. I could probably restart.

"Higher!" She yells again.

I watch Elli through the mirror in front and I suddenly can't look away. I watched her dance before, but I'd usually got bored and turn my attention back to my phone. This time I was mesmerized. Each move she made moved gracefully into another. Each step filled with so much emotion.

"Hold it!" Her teacher yells snapping me back to reality.

I blink a few times, trying to push away the tears that were slowly forming in my eyes and bring my attention back to Elli who is currently getting some advice from her teacher.

She nods and makes her way towards me, grabbing her bottle on the floor.

"That was beautiful" I say making my daughter shake her head in disagreement whilst she chugs her waterbottle.

"What do you mean? Elli that was amazing!" I ask confused.

"No" she says out of breath putting her bottle down. "I made so many mistakes" she adds all frustrated.

"Sweety, I don't care if you made any mistakes because what you just did was beautiful."

She looks at me and sigh, "If I want to go to HBS I can't do any mistakes, it has to be perfect. They won't let me in if it isn't." She says making Lise shake her head in amusement.

"Can I have a moment with Ms.Carson?" I ask making her nod as Lise walks towards us.

"Your letting her go?" She asks hopefully whilst I run my fingers through my hair.

"I don't know yet." She nod and sigh.

"It would be a pity if you didn't. I mean look at her Josh." I turn my head and see Elli running through the dance and get frustrated at a part. I smile and turn my attention back to Lise.

"I just don't want her to get overhelmed with all this. She's just six turning seven soon"

"Josh look at her. Your daughter might only be six but she is one of the most talented students in this studio. She is the only girl who got her pointe shoes at five. Josh" she sigh "I know you're trying to do what's best for her but maybe this is what's best for the both of you. And if it isn't your always welcome to come back. You have to at least try." I nod and smile.

"Thank you." I say making her smile.

"My pleasure."

"Do you mind if she has the rest of the day off?" I ask making her nod.

"Elli" Lise says getting my daughter's attention, "Go home you're dismissed for today" she says making my daughter look at her confused.

"But-" she starts but gets cutt off.

"You have done a wonderful job today. Go get some rest, tomorrow where working on your flexibility" she says making my daughter nod.

I hand my daughter her sweatpants which she quickly slips on and I put her duffel bag over my shoulder.

"Bye" I say holding the door for my daughter.

"Bye Ms. Carson, thank you for today"

"Welcome sweety. Bye Josh."