Chapter 29

I woke up and groggily opened my eyes. Shawn and I had fallen asleep on the couch. My head was laying on his chest and his arms were wrapped tightly around me.
I watched Shawn, his long lashes lying softly on his cheeks. His breath came out in slow, even beats. I could hear is heart thump slowly in his chest.
I smiled. He was so peaceful, so innocent in his sleep.
His vibrating phone jolted me away from my thoughts.
He still lay sleeping, undisturbed.

"Shawn," I whispered. He shifted slightly, but still didn't wake.

"Shawn," I said, a little louder. I tapped his nose lightly. He groaned.

"Shawn, wake up," I repeated. Shawn opened one eye at me.

"What?" He grunted.

"Your phone is ringing."

"You woke me up for that?"

"It might be important. And my back hurts from sitting on this couch, and I can't get up unless you let go of me."

He smiled. "Alright, alright." 

He loosened his grip on me, kissed me quickly and answered his phone.

I padded to the bathroom and started fiddling with my hair, but my brown curls were stubborn. They stayed wild no matter how hard I tried, so I eventually gave up.

"Hey."

Shawn's voice startled me.

"I have to leave for work immediately. It's an emergency."

"Oh, is everything ok?" I asked, concerned.

"Er... yes. And no. I just- I have to leave right now, ok?" Shawn looked worried.

"Uhm... ok? Well...bye, I guess."

Shawn gave me a quick hug, and a small peck before rushing out of the house.

"That was weird," I muttered. I walked into the living room and turned on the TV. 

I watched for awhile before I saw Shawn's name light up on the phone he had given me awhile ago. 

I picked up and put the phone next to my ear. "Have you called to apologize?" I teased. 

"Mason." He ignored my joke. His voice sounded serious and urgent. 

"What's got your panties in a bunch?" I teased again. 

"Mason. This is serious," he growled.

"What's wrong?" 

"Betty is nowhere to be found. She's gone, and the first place she would go is to find you. I need you to go and lock all the doors immediately." 

"What? She just disappeared?" I asked. My heart pounded. Who knew what she would do to me if Shawn wasn't here. 

"Mason, just do what I say. Now. I'm on my way as we speak." 

"Shawn, I-" 

A loud crash interrupted me mid sentence. 

"Mason?" 

I didn't answer. 

I tried to ignore my heart pounding inside of my chest. 

"Mason? Is everything ok?" 

I ran to the back door. 

It was open. The cold wind blew against my bare legs, and I stared out into the darkness beyond. 

"Someone's in the house," I whispered. 

"WHAT?! Mason, you need to -" 

Shawn's voice went out and the house went pitch black as the power was cut off.