Chapter 41

Shawn P.O.V

Today was finally the day of my escape. I had to admit, I did feel stronger. I was really lucky that Betty didn't kill me with that shot. I would have to have a big meeting at the company when we got back home. We had a lot of stuff to clear up.

Mason stayed in my room most of the day, but she didn't say anything. She just stared longingly out the window.

Mason was staring to get on my nerves. She was acting like a selfish little brat. If she kept acting like this, then I was going to have to punish her. I gave her my warning earlier, but that just seemed to make her even more rebellious and withdrawn.

A nurse walked in and interrupted my thoughts. "Mr. Mendes," She said. I could hear the fear in her voice. I smirked. "I came in here to let you know that you have been cleared. The Police will be here in exactly one hour to take you to jail."

She shakily did some small exams to make sure that I was really stable enough to go home.

As promised, an hour later, two police men walked in the door. I smiled. I recognized them. Rick and James, some of my best undercover cops.

I was already ready, In a suit that one of my men brought me overnight. I could still feel the soreness of the gunshot, but it definitely wasn't as searing as it was before. The bullet was a clean shot, so I healed quickly.

I stood up, and the "Officers" cuffed my hands behind me. They read me my rights and told me the date of my trial, but I wasn't listening. I was watching Mason.

All of this was fake, and we did it so we wouldn't get caught. But it was still a perfect opportunity for Mason to pull one of her stunts.

I leaned into Ricky's ear. "You make sure you grab her, and don't let go until we are inside the car."

Mason P.O.V.

I stood up when the "Police" walked in, trying my best to act as I could. No matter how angry I was at Shawn right now, I was relieved and kind of excited that we could finally be alone again. I began to follow Shawn out the door when one of the "Police men" grabbed my wrist, hard.

I gasped in surprise, and in pain. "What are you doing?"

Shawn's worker looked at me. "Shut your mouth and keep moving."

I wanted so badly to punch him in the mouth just then, but I wouldn't ruin our cover. But mostly, I was angry at Shawn. We were seriously back to this shit again? Watching my every move, threatening me? He really didn't trust me to go with him?

Was this how it was always going to be if I disagreed with him?

The officers walked us through the hospital. Nearby people watched us in disbelief as we marched through the front entrance. I heard people whispering to their friends in fear and excitement.

When we were finally through the big double glass doors, We were put in a decoy cop car. People crowded around the car to see the criminal Shawn and his kidnapped young girl. The car drove off, but we weren't heading to the police station. We were heading back to Shawn's mansion.

I sat in silence while we drove, not even wanting to look at Shawn. Things had been so good between us, and now it was all shit again.

It annoyed me how easy all this was. I had been stressing about this for two fucking weeks, and Shawn had been able to get us out of this situation in less than a day.

I felt the familiar itch of fear when I thought about how dangerous and powerful Shawn was.

Shawn was out of his handcuff's now. God. When he was wearing that suit he looked so damn sexy that I wanted to grab him and make out with him right now. Damn him for being so hot.

"Darling, are you still mad at me?" Shawn murmured. He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me closer. I felt my skin tingle when he touched me. He kissed me softly on my cheek. I tried to ignore him.

"Please, Shawn," I murmured. I felt my eyes watering up. "Why can't you just trust me?"

I looked at Shawn's eyes desperately. "Please," I begged again.

Shawn's hard expression turned soft. "I'll tell you as soon as we get home. I promise."