Chapter 36

When I woke up, the room was filled with people in blue suits.
"Why are the police here?" I groaned. They all stopped talking and looked at me.
"You are the girl Shawn Mendes kidnapped?"
I nodded. I didn't like to think of it that way anymore. I liked to think that he was meant to come into my life.
"We're the police. You don't need to worry anymore, Mason. As soon as Shawn is recovered he's going straight to prison." A tall, fat blonde man started speaking.

"W-what? No, it's okay, I don't want him to go to prison-"

"Oh, don't talk nonsense dear. You're safe now."

"No, you don't understand-"

"We already locked up his friends."

"Please, you have to let them go. This is a mistake. I want to be with him," I pleaded. "He's all I have. Please don't take him away."

The man shook his head, all the other policemen looking at me judge-mentally.
"He's really gotten to you. Get some rest, maybe the drugs will wear off in the morning."

"It's not the fucking drugs! I love him!" I shouted.

The room went silent.
"Now, can someone please tell me how Shawn is doing? Is he alive?"

"Still in surgery," the man muttered.
"Look, we'll give you some time to process the information. It doesn't matter whether you love him or not. He's a criminal, and he's going to prison. Get some rest. You need it."
Slowly, the police men filed out of the room.
I sighed and put my face in my hands.
I already had enough stress, with Shawn barely even hanging on to life. Now I had to figure out a way to get him and his buddies out of prison.
***
When I woke next, my nurse Martha was lightly tapping me on the shoulder.
"Wake up, dear," she murmured.
"Where's Shawn?" I asked groggily.
She smiled sweetly. "That's just what I've woken you for. He's out of surgery, and the doctors say he's stable."
I felt relief sweep through every inch of me.
"That's great! I have to see him!"
I pushed myself off the bed and hurriedly tried to leave the room, but Martha stopped me.
"Hold on, dear. Not so fast! The hospital policy requires me to escort you," Martha murmured. She lightly grabbed my arm and helped me out the door. Martha guided me down the hall and stopped outside room 47.
"Go on in, sweetie. He's still asleep."
Martha pressed the door open and I rushed inside.
Shawn lay inside, surrounded by beeping machines. His face was covered in small cuts and bruises, but he wasn't nearly as bloody as when I had found him. He was softly breathing. He looked so beautiful and peaceful in his sleep.
I felt tears fill up my eyes again.
I blinked them away and slowly walked over to Shawn's bedside.
I stood there, looking at him for a long while before I moved to touch him.
"Oh, Shawn," I murmured. I reached for him, and brushed his hair aside.
" I'm so sorry," I whispered. I felt a tear drop down my cheek.
I wanted so badly to hug him again, to kiss him again. I wanted him to cradle me to sleep and sing me his sweet lullabies.
"I will do anything," I murmured. "Anything, to keep you out of prison. We will be together again. I swear on it."