Chapter 37

The nurses released me from care today, so I spent almost all day waiting in Shawn's room, hoping for him to wake up.
It had been a whole day of bitter waiting and nail biting. I almost prayed for him to open his sweet brown eyes. What I would give just to see him look at me again the way he used to. To murmur his sweet songs into my ear.
I tried to remember one of his songs, but I could only recall the tune of it. I hummed it sometimes under my breath.
I was sleeping a light, restless sleep on the uncomfortable hospital chairs when I heard a tiny groan.
I instantly jumped to my feet.
Shawn groggily blinked open his eyes.
"Mason?"
I wanted to cry out of joy.
I was supposed to get the nurse as soon as he woke up, but I selfishly wanted this moment to myself.
"I'm right here," I whispered. I rushed to his bedside and looked in Shawns chocolate brown eyes.
"Mason, I'm so glad you are ok-"
I laughed sweetly, taking his hand in mine.
"It isn't about me, anymore darling," I murmured. I kissed every knuckle lightly.
Shawn closed his eyes and smiled sweetly. I could feel tears rolling down my cheeks.
Shawn looked at me, frowning.
"Don't cry darling," he murmured. He lifted his hand from mine and wiped away the tears falling on my cheeks.
"I'm so sorry I didn't find you sooner," I murmured.
"Don't apologize, dear. Come sit by me."
Shawn grunted in pain and scooted over a small amount on his hospital bed. I climbed next to him, careful not to press on his wounds too hard. I rested my head on his chest.
Shawn wrapped his arms around me and pulled me close to him.
I lay on him, listening to his steady heartbeat. I didn't think I would ever be so happy to hear a sound in my entire life.
I thought about the words I said when I was staring at his bleeding body. I had said them so easily. But ultimately, they were true. Shawn was my life now. Whether he had forced him self in or not, he was now my entire life. I couldn't mistake my feelings for him.
Shawn leaned down and kissed my forehead lightly. I looked up at him and smiled.
"I love you, Mason. I'm so glad you're safe."
Shawn looked away then. Like he knew I wouldn't say it back. He expected it, even after all we've been through, that those three words wouldn't leave my lips.
Well, he was wrong.
"I love you too," I whispered.