Chapter 38

Shawn looked down at me. A big, childish grin instantly spread across his face.
A faint pink tint covered his cheeks.
"Oh my god, you're blushing!" I teased. I poked his cheeks gently.
"Stop it!" Shawn said. I giggled and he looked away from me, not meeting my eyes.
******
It had been two weeks since Shawn had been awake. We were in the honeymoon stage of our relationship. We were being extra sweet to one another.
But I have far more stress on my mind. The police have been waiting impatiently to question Shawn. They made it apparent to me that as soon as he was better, he was getting taken away in handcuffs.
On top of that, I had to figure out how to get Jason out of prison. He saved our lives. I couldn't just let him rot in a cell after that.
I decided that we had to make a run for it. I couldn't bear to have Shawn taken away from me.

I was watching Shawn eat his breakfast when I brought up the subject. He was looking at me admiringly. The way he looked at me made my stomach flip.
"Shawn, honey," I said sweetly. I grabbed his hand in mine.
"We have to find a way to get you out of here. Before it's too late."
Shawn frowned. "I know you are worried about the police, Mason. But maybe if I served my Time, then we wouldn't have to keep hiding ourselves-"
I felt irritation boil up inside of me.
"Are you an idiot? With all the stuff you've done, you're time will be 70 fucking years!" I snapped.
"Murder, Abduction, thievery, whatever the hell your job is- which I'm assuming isn't a gardener."
I lined all the convictions up on my fingers.
"Honestly, Shawn. I thought that you, of all people, would understand this."
Shawn held both hands up.
"Okay, okay. Whatever. But you don't have to talk to me like I'm a fucking idiot," Shawn growled.
I rolled my eyes. "Well you are acting like a big fucking idiot."
Shawn narrowed his eyes. "Is there a reason you are being so bitchy right now? Are you on your  period or something?"
I stared at him, gasping.
"Okay. We are done here," I muttered. I got up from the bed and stormed out of the room, slamming the door behind me. I ignored Shawn's calls to me. I walked down the halls of the hospital. I grabbed one of the paper cups and filled it up with water.
I sighed. Maybe Shawn was right. I couldn't be mad at him for long. I was taking out all my stress on him. I should just focus on getting us out of here, and maybe I would be fine.
I did a lap around the hospital, eventually making my way back to Shawn's room.
Shawn was staring off in his bed, but he sat up as soon as I walked in.
"I'm sorry," we both said at the same time. We laughed.
I walked over to Shawn and kissed him lightly.
"I'm sorry. I'm just really stressed out right now with all this police stuff. I was taking it out on you."
"It's alright, love. It was rude of me to snap back at you," Shawn replied.
"So, about this thing-"
"You don't need to worry about it. I'll contact some of the guys. They should be able to get us out of here." Shawn soothed.
"But- how are you going to stay stable? You got shot for Pete's sake!"
Shawn smiled. "I have a lot of variety of people working for me, mason."
"What do you mean?"
Shawn narrowed his eyes mischievously. "I have people everywhere. I have people in the police force. I have doctors, nurses. I have everything worked out for me."
I suddenly felt a jolt of fear rush through me. I didn't want to get away from him now- but if I did, I would never be able to escape, if his claims were true. How many people of his were watching me right now. Shawn had told me how he knew he wanted me. How long had he had his spies eyes on me? How much did he actually know me?
Did he know all of my habits? He saw a new toy that he wanted- and what Shawn wants, he gets.
How long had Shawn been watching my every move?