Chapter 42

Mason P.O.V.

We were home now. It definitely wasn't the celebration I was imagining, but I was glad that Shawn was finally coming to his senses and deciding to tell me the truth about his job.

I sat in the living room on his couch, waiting patiently.

Shawn sat in the love seat across from me.

"My job," He started, "Is very dangerous. I'm the head of a corporation called Bande. We do a lot of different stuff, but our main jobs include things like drug deals and completing jobs for high paying customers.

"We offer the highest level of protection because our agents have been trained for years. For example, if a high paying businessman feels threatened, he can pay us top dollar to provide him protection services. We offer quality protection. However, our job isn't just protection. If the customer feels threatened enough, he can hire us to kill people as well."

I was scared, I had to admit. Shawn murdered people for a living. I was just glad he trusted me enough to tell me this.

"What about people who want protection but can't afford it?" I asked. I thought about families who were threatened by crime all just based on the location they were in.

"We can cover them too. Since they don't have enough money to just pay us for their services, they can complete jobs for us in exchange for our protection and sometimes even large grants of money. People will do anything to protect their families. So, someone can complete a drug deal for us, and they will receive a month's worth of protection. That's why we have so many workers of different varieties. We have policemen, janitors, doctors, you name it. People just want to be able to guarantee safety for their families."

I nodded, everything starting to piece itself together. "But there is a chance that people will betray you. What if they snitch on you to the police? Then the whole institution would be ruined."

"We've had that happen before. That's why we constantly move headquarters. Also, when people are locked in with us, they are sworn to secrecy. If there is even a chance that they weren't trustworthy, we kill them."

Shawn said it so casually, like murdering an innocent person was normal. I instantly thought about my brother, and my heart squeezed in sadness.

In a way, it was just like any other business. I understood why Shawn might not want to tell me. But I was really glad he told me.

I walked over to Shawn and sat on the love seat with him. I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him, the familiar taste of honey making me smile.

"Thank you for finally telling me," I whispered.

Shawn looked up at me. "You don't want to leave now?"

I felt my heart squeeze again. "Of course not, Shawn." I kissed him again. "I just wanted you to tell me. I hated being in the dark."

Shawn looked at me doubtfully.

"I'm not going to leave you anytime soon," I soothed. I ran my hands gently through his hair. "I love you."

Shawn smiled. He smiled a huge smile, all of his teeth showing. He was so beautiful when he smiled like that.

I kissed him again, this time more passionately. He kissed me back, slightly pulling my hair. I ran my hands through his soft curls, stopping and slightly tugging. He moaned throatily against me.

I pulled away from his lips, gasping.

"I'm ready, Shawn," I whispered. "I want all of you."

Shawn smiled against my lips. "Are you sure?"