Chapter Four - Shared Snickers

Chapter Four-

Scott and Cindy arrive back at the store with the supplies to reinforce it. Truman and my Mom start to get some wooden boards and add them to the windows, screwing them into the wall to secure them into place.

“Did you guys run into any trouble?” I ask.

Cindy looks at me, “No hun.. I- I- we- I- I’m fine.”

“Are you okay?” Regine examines Cindy up and down cautiously.

She smiles faintly, “Just the heat.”

“SHE’S BITTEN!” Celeste points out.

Cindy looks at her in alarm, “NO! NO I’m not!” To my surprise though, when she turns around, a huge bite mark is on her back. Ms.Witnik pulls out her gun and cocks it, shooting Celeste in the chest. Celeste collapses to the floor, deceased. I take out my gun, “TO THE WALL, NOW.” I demand. Witnik looks at me with big brown eyes and she aims her gun at me. Truman shoots her in the chest, “She never shared any of her snacks with me. Get her tied up so I can experiment on her.”

“You want to experiment on a walker?” Noemi says, “You’re dumb.”

I cross my arms, “Cut off her arms and take off her teeth.”

“We’re back!” Adriana says, “The hell?”

My Mom goes back to putting wood on the windows and blocking the automatic door entrances.

“Mom how are we going to get out of this place if you block those?” My sister Sam asks her.

“Exit from the back door.” She replies, “Although I don’t want your brother or you to leave this store.”

Scott sets up the generators for when the power goes out.

“Need help Scott?” I ask.

He bites his lip as her connects a generator to an outlet, “No, I think I got it going for now.”

“Jerry, I got some stuff from the BestBuy.” Adriana smiles, pulling out seven sets of walkie-talkies, and hand held radios, “Should I get the radio set up?” Adriana asks.

“Of course, see if you can get any information on this situation. Somebody has to be working on something by now.” Adriana toggles with the radio. I share a Snickers with Truman. (Started off as a snickers for me… but she begged for half.)

“Jerry?” She says.

I stare at her, “Yes?”

“I just wanted you to know, that I always appreciated how kind you’ve been to me. When I hear the other students talk shit about me it really gets me down, and now this. I just wanted to thank you.”

“Don’t thank me for not talking about you.. Why should you thank me for that?”

“Cause. It’s good knowing you’re not alone.”

“You seem to get along with Johnselfieta.” I smile.

“Johnselfieta?”

“You heard me correctly.” I smile.

“Come experiment on Witnik with me?” She asks.

“Sure!”

We walk over to where Witnik is held, she’s kept in jump rope on two metal pipes, snarling at the two of us, her lips foam with blood and her throat makes a putrid gurgling sound.

“Can I burrow one of your throwing knives?” She asks.

I hand a knife to her. She cuts open Witnik’s chest, “According to my naked eye her heart isn’t beating.”

“Then how is she alive?” I ask.

“She isn’t. Now tell me this, how would you kill her?” She asks quizzing me. I cross my arms and answer, “In the brain of course.”

“And how did you know this anyways?” She stares at me.

“The Walking Dead.” I reply.

“Hm… don’t trust everything in television. She burrows a razor and shaves off Witnik’s hair. “I need to open the cranium.” She slices the top of Witnik’s head carefully and examines the inside, “Ahh.. Interesting.”

“And?”

“It’s the brain stem. According to my research it’s most definitely the brainstem. The brain is already decaying after that short time. But the stem stays perfectly in place. As if it’s never been touched.”

“And that means?” I say.

Her eyes widen, and her pupils dilate, “There’s a possibility… that we all have the same stems as walkers.”

“Which… means… we are all infected.