Chapter TwentySix - Catching Up.

Chapter TwentySix-

        The next morning I'm the first to wake up, I slither my way out of Austin's arms and give him my pillow to cuddle until he wakes up. Jane's words about the camp up north is in my head, but really, why go to a new settlement when we just got out of one... one that we almost died getting out of. I know Jane... I know Jamie too.. I don't think Jamie is going to be strong enough to make it, and Jane... Jane's a stubborn woman, I worry if she's gonna make it as well. I take out the map, Statesboro is circled in red sharpie.

        A crow hawks in the sky above me and the horde is nowhere to be seen at this time, which usually means they were distracted by another group, or they're going down south, where it's warmer. Since it's Autumn, here in Georgia it's pretty mild. But we need to start heading up North. Rumor has it, walkers hate the cold.

        "Jerry?" I hear a voice behind me. I jump a little and look back at the person. It's Sabrina, she sits down on the bench next to me and looks at the map curiously,

        "Jane and Jamie? They left last night, didn't they?" She asks.

I sigh, "Yep.."

        "You're probably wondering... how I made it all the way to here.. from Maryland." She puts her hair in a ponytail, securing it with a black hairtie.

        "Well... Obviously, that's quite a trip... I'm astonished to even see you alone... your Dad was always so protective.." I look at her for a second.

        "...Which is why he sacrificed himself to save me and my other family members... We were stuck in our house, I was in my room, when I heard the screaming.. I went upstairs and I saw two biters just... tearing into him.. We thought it would be safer here, Megan's family told us about some friends down in Georgia, they were building Crawford.. Stone, Sulli, my Mother, and I.. all went here, thinking it was safe... But my Mom was shot by a group, I took the two boys down here in a truck loaded with a full tank of gas... but when we got here.." Sabrina wipes a tear from her eyes, "They vanished.. Crawford doesn't allow anyone under thirteen to enter, So I had to pretend I was fourteen... and now, I came here for nothing, look at this mess."

I stay silent for a few moments, "I'm sorry... but.. your family is here now. I don't even know about how my family is doing in Maryland right now... But we're gonna be traveling North soon."

        "Are you sure that's a good idea...?" Sabrina furrows her brows gently, curious on my responce.

I look at her, "There isn't no 'good' ideas or 'bad' ideas anymore... as long as they help us get through this, then that's what matters. I don't plan on dying anytime soon."

        "What happened to your sister... and your mom?" Sabrina asks, "If you don't mind."

I sigh, "The same thing that happens to everyone else's family." I tuck my faded blue hair back into my beanie.

        "Austin dropped by Envy's yesterday, and raided all of the hairdye for you... he has a whole bag contributed for your hair nessessities." Sabrina smiles.

        I can't help but laugh. Then after our little laughs it's awkward silence again.

        "He loves you, you know.." Sabrina looks at me, "I dated a guy from kindergarden to fifth grade and I knew when I loved him and didn't.. But when I look into his eyes when he's looking at you, it's almost as if his pupils turn into hearts."

I smile bashfully, "He's my Prince."

        "All the guy's I've seen so far after the outbreak remind me of sweaty gym socks. Hopefully the northern boys learn how to bathe in a river for once." She laughs.

I shoot her a look.

        "Well... we just came from a town with water... so I don't think I'm implying you." She gets up, "It was nice talking to you Jerry, don't take anything you have for granted anymore... Austin, keep him safe, he loves you.. and I can tell you love him.. but when it comes to the real descision, I know it may be hard, but if situations get dire. Think of yourself before others in a world like this... that's the key to survival."