Chapter Nine - Just Once.

Chapter Nine-

        "What the hell happened?" I ask her, walking up to Jocelyn and squinting my eyes gently.

She clears her throat, "Well... We got to the horde. And.. and we cut off Monica's arm. He was holding it... They ran towards him. I was able to chop off the bitten limb. But it was too late. If I didn't leave right then and there I wouldn't be here either.." Jocelyn replies, looking down and wiping a tear from her eyes. Maria Ortega stares blankly at Jocelyn and tilts her head to the side slightly as if she's speaking to her telepathically.

        "We can't linger on his death. We have to move on from this.. I'm truely sorry for anybody who knew or cared for him. But we can't live the same lifes we used too... The world is different obviously.. we have... monsters outside. Their only purpose is to kill us. It's going to happen to all of us... every one of us. And hanging onto people now is useless because we all turn... no matter how we die. I saw it before. Just yesterday I saw it. And I don't wanna witness that again." Jacquees implies, "We're a part of this group now..."

        "Well you should know better. You took lives before this. And you didn't hang onto those did you. Not all of us are gang bangers you know." Andy snarls at him.

        "Adriana." Regine says.

        "You best watch your mouth girl. You don't know my story. And I don't know yours. But know this... I've seen way more than you have. And I know way more about life than you do. Maybe if you're so brave.. why don't you step out into that horde for yourself and see how far you make it. Then come talk to me. I'll wait for you to get back." Jacquees walks towards her, looking down on her he flicks a peice of hair over her shoulder.

        "Are you fucking crazy..?" Adriana replies. "I'm not going over there.."

        "Then you should keep quiet. Before you say something you regret."

        "Guys watch it.." Scott says.    

       Truman decides it would be best if we figured out what caused the initial outbreak before we take any other action in our own hands. So she asks Doug to go and fetch a walker from outside. I just sit with Freckles and Austin.

        "What happened.. how did you guys end up together?." I ask.

Freckles picks at her finger nails, "I was at school. One of those things.. got into our classroom and got my bestfriend. Then my bestfriend got my teacher. I rushed out the door and found Jacquees and Doug. They were the only ones who weren't bit in my class. We rushed out the school and went to a little alleyway near my house. Which is where I met Austin and Stephanie.. Austin was trapped between a garage door. And Stephanie was having trouble to get him out.. His other members of his group.. including Aria and Juan came out. We decided to group up... But... what I have to say about my school... they're most of what's in the horde coming here now.. The people that killed your friend."

        "I wouldn't be here if it weren't for Stephanie. She got me out. And for that I don't think I could thank her enough. I couldn't leave them behind in the horde.. it would just be wrong of me." Austin adds on, ruffling his hair and leaning onto the lawnchair. "Then we stumbled upon yall and I couldn't help but think we were going to shoot you. With the way Jacquees and Daisy were talking to you... I thought we were going to become one of them... one of the broken groups. And I worried I would have to break that promise with Stephanie and run away... But I'm glad we're here. Thank you.." He looks at me in my eyes.

        "No problem... If yall have anything to talk to me about then come to me.. I may not be the most reliable person. But I'm leader here. And I need to know if anybody is giving you guys any trouble.." I pat them both on the back, "It was nice talking to you guys.."

        "Sure." Austin says, with a kind smile... It sorta makes me tingle and blush inside a little but I try to hide it best I can.

       "Hey Jerry..." Doug says, bringing in a walker.

        "KEEP IT OUTSIDE!" I shout almost way too loudly.

        "Oh- ha yeah I forgot.." He smiles nervously. His behavior is almost frantic like he's in some sort of panic mode.

        "Are you alright?" I advance on him slowly.

He adjusts his glasses with his free hand, "Y- yeah. Just.. I think.. Yeah I think it would be better if.. you know if I kept the walker in here.. So it.. yeah so it.. doesn't get away."

        "No. Take it the hell outside." I furrow my brows.

       "Fine." he bites his bottom lip and takes it outside.. When i realize the bite on his right lower calf.

        "You were bit!" I shout at him.

        "SHHH!! Please..." He says. " I don't turn. I can't."

        "Shut the hell up!" I scream, "Adriana lock him up!" I say.

Adriana takes her gun and pushes his back with it, "YOU TRIED TO KILL US!" She screams at him.

        "Dude chill!" Tania replies to Adriana's comment.

        "I want to do it.." Doug says.

        "Do what.." I reply.       

Doug laughs manically, "I wanna DO IT... Just once... Before I die.. Ha.." He cries and laughs at the same time, "P- please. With anyone."