Chapter Twenty - I Opened My Eyes

Chapter Twenty-

        "Baby please.." Austin looks at me, "Calm down... I love you. Please."

        I finally was tamed. The lion was put back into it's cage... The outbreak has changed people, including me. I don't think before the outbreak that I would even think about trying to get at somebody like I did with her. She holds her nose, a pool of blood dampening her red uniform and staining her skin a crimson.

        "You fucking bitch... Get out of my store." She glares at me. At that moment I was going to get out her store, but then.. I was pulled out of Austin's arms. And Austin was pulled away too. I kick at the person but they don't budge. I try to bite their arm... but their grasp on me continues to stay sturdy. Then suddenly, My head is thrown against the wall, and I black out.

        I awaken in shackles. Austin across from me in the same room, asleep. The whole room is cement. The walls, the floors, the ceiling. I can tell we're underground in some sort of basement from the cement staircase leading up to some room with light streaming into ours. Austin finally awakens and stares at me worriedly, "Baby!? Are you okay... Please.. did they hurt you!? What's going on baby.." A tear glistens down his cheek and he tries his hardest to get the rusty iron shackles off his arms and legs. I just look down and cry. I got us in here... and I'm not sure if we're gonna get out... not alive at least. "They didn't hurt me baby... I'm fine.. Are y- you okay?" I ask him. The only thing I want to do is be in his arms.... I just want to hold him... to be there with him... but maybe I already had my last chance. Maybe all hope is lost at this point.

        "I love you so much... I love you so damn much. If we don't make it out here alive.. I just want my last thought to be of you.. I just want to be in your arms." He cries harder, pulling at the shackles.        

        "I love you too... I'm so sorry.." I reply.

He stares at me, "This never would've happened if we didn't come here in the first place. I knew this was a bad idea... I knew entering this place wasn't safe... But I needed to feel free again... And looking back on it.. if we had just ran away from the group together, then all I needed to feel free again is you. You're all I want in this world. You're all that I have left... and I risked your life for what, a hot shower... I'm so fucking selfish." He sobs harder. Watching him cry is the worst expirence of my life since the outbreak... more than the horde. At least I was able to make my own descisions during that... but here I'm just caged in... with no escape.

        "Austin... we both know we all needed to come here... we had to get away from all that shit outside of these gates." I cry, "It's not your fault baby... trust me. It's not your fault..."

        My mind is like a tumble weed right now... not knowing which way to go... just all this trash and dust and weeds thrown together to make this ball of no purpose. Nothing to it but stupidity. I have nothing to think about but dieing at this point... The feeling of being trapped is so surreal right now... the feeling of being treated like there is no escape is the worst possible emotion to go through... But at least I'm spending my last breath with the one who has helped me the most through out this whole expirence.. The one who layed with me and held me when I wasn't aware of myself...

        Then I hear the footsteps.