Chapter 1

July 29th 2007
We had just arrived at the campsite, me, my little brother Kyle, dad and mum. I told my mum I would much rather be spending my 13th birthday at home with my best friend Holly but dad decided he wanted to go camping.  We drive to our pitch and I go and play with Kyle for a bit, when we get back dad stinks of beer again and he is shouting at my Mum because they can't put the tent up.  I tell my mum I'm gonna go and have a look at the river near the campsite entrance.  I start walking down and I burst into tears, I hate seeing my mum upset.  My dad has never been a good dad or a good husband either.  He's too busy for us most nights as he's either with one of his other girlfriends or too busy drinking and coming in the house at 3 in the morning.  I stay up though, even though he's a terrible dad I still need to know he's okay.  I sit down on the banking next to the river and put my head in my hands and sit there crying. 

About five minutes later I feel a tap on my shoulder and here a boys voice ask 'hey? Are you okay?'  I look up and see a boy with brown spiked hair and the most beautiful blue eyes I've ever seen.

*conversation between Kenzie and Andy*
K= kenzie
A= andy

K- who are you?
A- I'm Andy, Andy Fowler
K- um nice to meet you, I'm Kenzie
A- i love that name!
K- thanks i guess
A- so anyway, Kenzie, what's up?
K- I don't really wanna talk about it
A- come on? I'm a good listener

As he says that I burst into tears again, he pulls me into a hug and it feels like forever but it probably only lasted a few seconds.

A- hey, hey, it's okay.  It's gonna be fine I promise
K- you don't know anything about me!
A- i want to thought, come on Kenzie, talk to me
K- how old even are you? I'm only 13
A- I'm 13 it was my birthday last week
K- it was my birthday yesterday
A- come here, I wanna show you a place

That's when he grabbed my hand and said 'come here, I wanna show you a place' I let go of his hand and follow him.  I feel safe around him and I don't know why.  I only met him half an hour ago and he already feels like my best friend.  We walk around the campsite talking about things from School to holidays to music. 

K- so, Andy.  What do you like doing?
A- um well i sing and play guitar, it not that interesting though.
K- omg really?!
A- what?
K- I sing and play guitar too
A- really? How long have you been singing for?
K- even since I was a baby really, and you?
A- same!
K- I really should be going, my Mum will be worried about me
A- Kenzie?
K- yeah?
A- meet me at the lake tomorrow at 11?
K- okay, bye Andy Fowler
A- bye miss Kenzie