Chapter 4

*ten years later- 13th February 2018*

I woke up to my screaming brother and all his friends, he's 17 but yet him and his mates all act like they are 5 when they are together. I walk downstairs to see my mum sat at the kitchen table crying. She heard me open the door so she looks up and her eyes were all red and puffy. I run over to her and ask her what's wrong.

K= Kenzie
M= mum

K- Mum? Are you okay?
M- Kenzie, I'm not okay, I think there's something I need to tell you and your brother. Can you tell his friends to go home as soon as possible please?
K- yeah sure!

I'm worried about Mum, she's started staying in a lot more often and she doesn't seem herself recently. I walk back up the stairs and walk into my brothers room without knocking. They're all playing on the xbox.
'Oi! All you lads out of the house now'

k= Kenzie
b= brother (Kyle)

B- Kenzie? What are you doing?
K- they need to get out, Mum needs to talk to us. It's serious
B- is she okay?
K- I don't know she wants to tell us at the same time

I smile as Kyle's friends collect their things that have been thrown across his bedroom floor. They then go one by one out of the house. Once the last boy left me and Kyle go downstairs and go into the kitchen in silence.

K= Kenzie
B= brother (Kyle)
M= Mum

K- so Mum, what's wrong?
B- yeah, are you okay?
M- no and no
B- what is it Mum?
M- I'm ill
K- what do you mean ill?

She hands over an envelope and me and Kyle open it together, it's from the hospital. She's got cancer.

K- oh my god Mum, is this true?
M- um, yeah. I'm sorry kids, it's too late to save me
B- what? Mum, are you gonna be okay
M- no baby, they said they are trying their best but nothings working.
K- what are we gonna do without you Mum? Dads in prison and we don't have a Mum?
M- you'll figure it out Kenzie, your a smart girl.
B- what about me?
M- Aunty Sarah and Uncle Ed said they would pay for you to go to college Kyle, that would mean you'd move in with them and go to the dream college you've always wanted to go to.
K- but, but Mum, what am I gonna do
M- here, have £300. Keep yourself safe, get a train somewhere and a cheap hotel until you start earning money. I believe in you Kenzie I really do.

Mum handed me £300 and said to keep myself safe and go find a job somewhere. She then received a phone call saying a doctor will come and pick her up soon. She gives Kyle some money to get either a train or a taxi up to our Aunty and uncles house. We both go upstairs and start packing our bags. I get a big rucksack and fill it with a few different outfits and I put my laptop in there. I kiss my Mum goodbye and I start walking down to the train station. I walk up to the place where you buy tickets. I look at the timetable. London. That was the train that left the soonest. The man selling the tickets started talking and it made me jump. 'Hiya, where would you like a ticket to?'
'London please' I reply back, I've never seen him at the train station before, he must be new.
'Okay, that will be £90.37 please'
I never realised a train ticket from Manchester to London would be this much. I hand over the money and say thank you as he gives me my ticket then I go into costa and I have half an hour to wait until the train. I buy the same drink as I buy every time I go to costa. A large hot chocolate. I walk out of costa and see my train.