Chapter Nine

Krenton's Astonishing Electronics was written on top of the grey building. We drove behind the shop and Derrick placed the car in park. Michael clasped my shoulder and gave me a small consulting smile. I looked at the backdoor to the store as the men opened the car doors. Was I really about to go and break into an electronic store?

I glanced at the open door and realized I could run. Joker wasn't here to stop me. I could run away from everyone and somehow figure it out. The door was literally open for me. I could do it.

Yet I didn't.

I found myself walked to Noah, who was trying to compensate the alarm trigger. He was working slowly, stopping at certain points. I looked over his shoulder and recognized the formula he was plugging in.

"It's 8152," I stated. He turned to me and counted mentally for a few seconds.

"Yeah, it is. How'd you know?"

"I. . . Didn't. I mean, you're doing a basic linear equations. Solve for Y. Each number has a different degree and with the same numerical value for X, it equals to 8152," I said simply, surprising myself.

The lot looked at me.

"Who are you?" Derrick suddenly pinned me against the brick wall. My arms fumbled under the pressure and I struggled to release from his grasp.

"Hey! She doesn't know who she is. Off!" Noah janked on his shoulders, throwing him onto the side street.

"Why the hell do we believe her? What if shes the spy?" Derrick yelled, rubbing his bruising elbow. Noah walked up to him, and pulled out a gun. He positioned it adjacent to Derrick's temple and he froze.

"Because Boss believes her. And you don't wanna mess with him, do you?"

Silence echoed the alley. I breathed hard, not even hurt by Derrick's reaction. I was a stranger. It was odd - the way that I was easily trusted.

"Look, I don't know why or how I knew. But I do, and I assume that there is a use for that. We have something to rob," I said, nodding to the opened door. Derek looked at me and bit his inner cheek.

"You're right. Apologies. But if I find any dirt against you-"

"I know. You'll kill me. Those threats are something I'm used to by now."

Noah placed the gun back into his black sweater and walked up to me.

"You good?"

I nodded and he gave me a gruff smile.

"Alright. We lost some time," he shot a look to Derrick, "so make it up. Go," he commanded. The two men quickly ran into the building, and I followed with Noah behind.

The shop was small, with computers and televisions sitting on neat countertops. Derrick quickly went to the cash register and started putting all the money into a large bag. Michael worked quickly, stacking valuable merchandise into another, identical bag.

"C'mon. We've got the motherload," Noah smiled, breaking the window on top the doorknob. The door was labeled Manager with bright gold letters. He reached the locked knob from the other side, and unlocked it. We shuffled in.

"Alright. Show your worth. I'll grab all the crap lying around. You get the fun job. Crack the safe. It's password protected - not like the old ones. Usually, they make it a mathematical equation," he pointed to the monitor embedded into a metal box.

I knelt beside it as Noah scurried around, throwing whatever he could into the type of bag. As I touched the screen, a loud siren roared.

"Shit. They have us. Hurry up," Noah cried. The boys ran to the room we were in, and my heart began to race.