+39+

Jimin Park

"No...no..."

I stared at the sign in total disbelief.

"This isn't real..."

This sign is in the wrong place. It's supposed to be on a different lawn, for a different house, for a different person!

There's no way Grace is moving, right? She wouldn't just leave, would she? She couldn't have just left.

This isn't real.

This can't be real.

I don't believe it!

I won't believe it!

She didn't leave!

I wasn't late.

You were late.

I stood there, completely still. Rain continued to fall on my umbrella as I just stared at the "FOR SALE" sign.

I tried so hard to make an excuse in my head that will make me feel better about that damn sign, but...I couldn't.

It all looked too bad.

I missed it.

I missed her.

Because of my stupid ass, I lost her.

She's gone....

"Jimin?"

I turned my head and saw Jasmine standing a few feet away from me. She held an umbrella above her head and a paper bag was hanging besides her.

It seemed like she just got here too.

A wave a guilt devoured me and I felt a bit scared to be in front of her. I haven't seen her at all since this whole mess.

I wasn't planning to see her at all.

I feel like sh*t just being in her sight.

I was horrible to her best friend and here I am, face to face with her. It was like I was standing in front of a victim's parent.

She could kill me at any time.

She could pull out some chopsticks and stab me to death.

I would let her.

I deserve it.

But...she didn't.

Her face remained soft and calm.

I opened my mouth to speak, but she beat me to it.

"What are you doing here, Jimin?" She asks.

Her voice was so firm and strong. She was being gentle and harsh at the same time.

My heart ached as I looked back at the house. "I came to see...I-I came to see Grace."

She closed her eyes and sighed. Not out of frustration, but she actually showed sympathy.

"Follow me." She says and walks past me, towards the house.

I followed.

Many questions were forming in my head and many thoughts that didn't help me out. I wanted to spill, but I should let her explain first.

As we were entering her house, I felt like I was doing the "walk of shame" up her steps and through her door.

As soon as I stepped in, my vision became so crisp as everything around silenced.

Damn.

I remember when I came here to talk to her, to explain my sucky story.

I remember her getting angry at me.

I remember kissing her.

I remember her telling me to "go away".

I remember those moments and I couldn't help, but want to go back to that time and redo everything little thing I did. She may have been furious with me, but...at least she was still here.

She was still here.

Here.

When we entered the living room, I almost balled.

This is where I told her that I'll be there for her.

Right on that couch.

I told her that she can always come to me when she needed help or when she felt horrible. I told her that I was worried about her and that I wanted to make her feel better.

I gave her a promise and also gave myself one.

She was the only one who kept it.

=

"I know what you're thinking. Just from the look on your face, I can tell." Jasmine breaks the heartbreaking silence.

I lowered my face, trying my best to fight the tears.

I couldn't look at anything anymore.

Everything in this house was just a sad memory. Everything reminded me of her and I couldn't help, but remember all the bad things more than the good things.

Although, there were more bad than there was good.

The house looked empty, even though everything was still here.

I just know Grace wasn't here anymore.

It felt so empty.

"The movers are coming by tomorrow to clear the house." Jasmine says as she held up a picture frame. "Grace wants everything sold."

Everything?

"Ashley and I came by earlier to pick up some things that we know she doesn't want to sell. We both left to accompany Grace at my mom's house."

"How is she?" I ask.

Jasmine sighs. "Ok enough to be out of the hospital, but not as good as before. It's going to take a long time for her to recover."

I nod.

"I came back to pick up something. Just for a bit, though, then I have to get to the airport."

What?

I almost choked. "A-Airport?"

Please let this have nothing to do with Grace.

Please...

Jasmine turned her back towards me, like she didn't want to answer...or she didn't want to see my face when she did.

"Grace, Ashley, and I are leaving." Her voiced lowered.

I held my breath, fighting back tears again.

"This place is too toxic and we can't risk her again. Last time, we were stupid to leave her alone. We're not risking anything like that again." Jasmine placed the picture frame back. "It was my mom's idea to get away for awhile. She's helping us get a plane and everything."

"Whe-Where are you going?"

"To a place far from here. To a place where we can have fun and relax without our phones or exposure to paparazzi and media."

"How long?"

"Long."

I bit my bottom lip.

Fight it, Jimin.

Fight it.

"She's getting rid of all her stuff because she doesn't want to come back to this. She said everything in her house holds a memory...whether it's a good one or a sad one...it was her past."

I nodded.

"I can answer more of your questions, but I don't have much time. Come on, let's go upstairs. I think there was a box with your name on it."