+50+

Bonus~

Grace Xiu

I quickly poured the soap onto the sponge and wiped down the dirty dishes.

I sang to myself quietly as I took my time to wash the piled up plates and cups.

It was past dinner and the whole house was silent. The cool and calm atmosphere made me slow my roll and just get engulfed with random thoughts.

If my life were a book, would I read it?

I stopped singing and took a deep breath. I stared down at the water as it washed the soap bubbles away.

Was it worth it?

If I knew this was going to be a page in my book, would I continue writing?

If my hard work was for this, would I continue working harder?

Or give up?

I placed the last cleaned dish away and leaned against the kitchen counter, facing the window.

It was pitch black out and I couldn't see anything at all. Just black. But my eyes used this spot to rest as I continued thinking.

Would I want to go back in time to this moment? Do I like it that much?

I don't even know why I'm thinking such things. I'm not sad or anything.

I just think a lot.

I'm too deep for my own good.

A pair of arms suddenly wrapped around my waist and a warm body pressed against my back.

I jumped, but calmed down after half a second.

He laid his head on my shoulder.

No words were exchanged. He just held me from the back and kept my heart warm in silence.

His breathing slowed and mine did too just focusing on that.

I looked down at the wet surface and without thinking much, I grabbed a towel and started wiping down the counter.

"Why aren't you coming to bed?" He whispered, his grip loosening around my waist.

"I will in a bit." I responded just as quietly.

"Hurry, babe. I need you there with me if I want to sleep well."

I turned around and faced him with a smile. I wrapped my arms around his neck.

"What about me, huh? What if I want to stay up and clean?" I tilted my head, teasing.

"Cleaning? Babe, are you stressed again?" His tone softened as he worried. "If you're stressed about something..."

"No, no, no, I'm not stressed. Honey, it's our home. We have to keep it clean."

"It doesn't have to be clean all the time."

"Yes, it does. A mess can be dangerous. Especially with Kimmy, honey. She can walk now, you know."

"Yes, yes, I know. She's 4 years old, baby. I just don't want you worrying so much. I will do anything to keep her and you safe. You know that?"

I nodded.

"Let's go to bed now." He took my hands. "You look exhausted. I'll carry you."

I didn't deny.

He picked me up like a bride and held me close to his chest. I rested my head on his shoulder and kissed his neck.

"You're cute." I whispered.