~Chapter twenty-eight~

8:20 AM, Saturday, September 10

The white letters of my alarm clock screamed at me. Today was mine and Nessie's 13th birthday and I was just awaiting someone to bother me. So far all was quiet, but in my household that didn't stand too long. I heard the sound of light footsteps, but there were many possibilities for who that may be. Whispers came from outside my door, though I was too tired to care.

      I flipped onto my other side to face my window and heard the voice to be identified as my parents. 'She'll kill us later," dad whispered. "I don't care, she will never come out of her room otherwise," retorted mom. I shook my head and tensed for impact. My door was flung open and I listened to the footsteps coming closer and closer. Suddenly from behind me I heard them yell, "Happy Birthday, Annabella!" I rolled over to face them and thrusts probably annoyed smile on my face.

     "Or miss grumpy gills," mom teased and handed me a tray of pancakes, bacon, and scrambled eggs. "I"ll be happier later on, maybe. Also thanks for the breakfast," I told them, with a more beilevable smile put on my face. They each kissed my forehead and walked out of the room. I devoured the breakfast rather quickly and set it on my bedside. I leaned back into my pillow and stared up at my dull white ceiling. Today I am official a teenager, though I had the mental status of a 16 year old.

     Yawning, I flip my feet over the side of the bed. My legs were tight as I made my way towards the bathroom. I took a quick shower, using my favorite watermelon smelling soap, and lavender smelling shampoo and conditioner. Climbing out of the shower, I saw a spaghetti strap, navy blue dress sitting on the closed toilet. It look to be intentionally rumpled. It always disturbed me the fact that Aunt Alice would just sneak into the bathroom while I shower. I just hoped she didn't stare.

     I tied my hair up with the towel and then slipped the dress on. It kissed my curves nice and went to mid-thigh. I smiled in the mirror, really loving the dress on me. Flinging the towel off my head, I began to run the blow-dryer through my thick hair. In the middle of drying my hair, I plugged in my curling iron and whistled as my last strand of hair was dried. Beginning to curl my hair was simple, even the back of my hair curled simply. It was probably because my hair was naturally curly, I just wasnted tighter curls then what my hair displyed.

     When I reached for my last strand of hair, I ended up touching the iron part and burning my hand. "OW," I yelled, dropping the curling iron into the sink. I jumped around, holding my burning hand. My bathroom door was pulled open and mom came in, a look of concern was expressed on her face. "What happened, sweetheart?" she asked in a soft voice. I showed her my blistering hand and then pointed to the curling iron.

     Her face scrunched up and she took immediate action. Grabbing a towel off the rack she put cold water on it, and handed it to me. "Ow, ow, ow," I complained, carefully setting the towel on my hand, the cold stinging it. "I"ll finish the last piece," mom told me, taking the iron out of the sink. She finished off the last curl and asked, "Why did you grab the iron?" I fought back the temptation to roll my eyes as i replied, "I didn't mean to, I reached for the wrong end of it."

     "Better take you to grandpa, so he can check your hand," she mused and then took my hand, gently leading me to grandpa's study. Mom knocked on the door and grandpa's voice said, "Come in." Mom opened the door and grandpa swung around in his big black chair to face us. "Well happy birthday dear Annabella. Oh, what happened to your hand?" I felt a blush rise to my face and I replied, "I, er, burnt my hand with the curling iron."

     "Come here, let me see your hand please," he said, gesturing me forward. I walked up to him, keeping my head towards the floor. I winced as he took off the towel, I looked up with my eyes as he clicked his tongue. "Well, looks like you gave yourself a second degree burn. I have some aloe that should soothe down the pain. You'll have to apply it continuously. I will tell you this, do not eat food with it on your hand. Also I will wrap it, so that it is easy to take on and off."