Treinta y cuatro

What do you think about this one? - James unveiled the dressing room curtain to show me himself. 

Great, but the previous one was by far the best - I answered, sitting comfortably on the couch.

- You think so? - he asked looking at himself in the mirror and I nodded. - I'll try it again - he disappeared behind the curtain. - Maybe you're right... - after a while he showed up dressed and began to turn around his axis.

- Wait - I approached him and stood on tiptoe to correct his tie. - Now it's perfect - I stroked his suit lightly. I don't know why, but at that moment I felt pain in my heart.

- Thanks - a perfect smile appeared on his face. - I didn't have anyone to ask for advice. When we were together, you always helped me, and now... - he looked like he was stressed.

- Now I can help you too - I smiled slightly and turned to go back to the small couch. 

Are you going with someone? - his question stopped me halfway. From the beginning of our meeting, I prayed that he wouldn't ask about it.

- No - I turned to him. - You?

- No, maybe we could... - he started shyly, but I knew where it was going and I didn't quite like it.

- Better not - I interrupted him. I didn't want to do it, especially seeing this sadness and disappointment on his face, but I wasn't ready. It wasn't a good moment.

- I understand. I just... - I couldn't look at the sadness that appeared in his eyes.

- I'm sorry - I heard my phone and started looking for it in my bag. - Yes? - I picked up at the last minute.

- Hola chica! Do you have a moment? - Rafaella's cheerful voice came out on the other side.

- Now? Not really. Something happened? - I asked a little worried.

No, don't worry. I just wanted to talk. Maybe in the evening on a video chat?

- Sure, see you later - the moment of conversation with the girl immediately improved my mood. 

- Something's wrong? - asked James.

- No. Are you taking this one? - I pointed to the suit.

- I think so.

***

I came back home late in the evening. I made tea and ate the dinner Mari left me. I still had a picture of depressed James in my head. I didn't want to hurt him, but I couldn't act against myself. It's not a big deal, in the end we'll both be there, but I would feel uncomfortable. It will be better for both of us. He won't get false hopes and I'll feel better. I sat on the bed and opened the laptop, after which I connected with Rafa.

- Hey darling! - an incredible joy was coming from her. 

- Hi - I smiled slightly. 

- What's up? We haven't talked for a long time. You have to tell me everything. Is everything okay with Neymar? I hope he got himself together - she began her stream of words.

- It's good - that's all I managed to answer, trying to keep up with her.

- That's it? - she asked, surprised. - You could say something more - she brought her head closer to the webcam.