chapter 26; disovery

"Darling! Dinner is ready!"

Isabella opened her eyes as she heard her mother call her. She climbed out of bed and pulled on a dressing gown, shuffling downstairs.

"Isabella, why aren't you dressed?" Her mother raised an eyebrow, "and you look terrible. When was the last time you washed your face?"

"This morning, mother," she mumbled, rubbing her eye. It was true. Isabella's eyes used to be puffy and red from crying, but now had bags under them instead.

"Have you been sleeping?" Her mother asked as she set the table, and Isabella forced a smile as she sat down, "Yes, mother."

"You need to stop this 'depression' act, then. It's getting old. That man meant nothing to you. Means nothing to you," Her mother hummed happily to herself as she spoke. Isabella clenched her fists, breathing slowly.

"I just miss Vicky, that's all," she lied, and her mother nodded, not noticing.

After dinner was finished and Isabella had helped her mother clean up, her father returned to his office and her mother headed towards the living room. "You know what mother, I think I'm going to have a shower. That might make me feel better."

Her mother nodded and smiled over to her, "that's my girl. Go along now."

Isabella nodded, climbing up the stairs. She went into the bathroom and turned the water for the shower on, but then tiptoed back out of the bathroom and into her parents bedroom. She began to search around for something, anything, that could help tie her mother to the Gonzalez family.

After searching for a while, she gave up and began to walk out of the room, stepping on a creaky floorboard as she walked. She froze, before dropping to her kneels and lifting up the rug to see the loose floorboard there. She lifted it, only to find a lock box hidden there. She grinned like a child opening a present on Christmas Day. She had hit the jackpot, in the most stereotypical and obvious hiding spot ever.

Isabella took the small box and ran into her room, closing the door behind her. She spent a while trying to open the box, until she was successful. Thank god for hair pins. Once she opened it, she tilted her head to the side in confusion.

There was photos of people she didn't know, letters from names she didn't recognise, and the jackpot: a mobile phone.

She stuffed her discovery under her bed, as her mother stomped into the room, "what are you doing? The water had been running for ages, it'll be cold by now! Go, shower!"

Isabella hurried out of the room, grinning all the way.

-/-
vote and comment!