Chapter 10: care

I opened my eyes only to see Jeff right beside me. A feeling of disappointment and demise came over me. I couldn't believe it. I was still at his place, still laying on that old mattress next to him. It was all... just a dream.

Of course. I sighed as I stared at the ceiling. It was too good to be true. I might as well accept the fact that I'll never actually get out of here.

A slight ray of sunshine fell on the ground through a small basement window, giving the room a warm tone. Clothes that I so clumsily toppled down were still laying in a messy pile next to the closet.

I slowly sat up and attempted to get out of bed without waking Jeff up. With his bipolar personality anything could piss him off. He said that he was 'sorry' for hurting me before, but I had a feeling it will happen again if I 'break his rules' or if I generally get on his nerves.

Carefully I managed to leave the room without any noise. After going to the bathroom and finishing my business there I went to the kitchen to find something edible.

"What are you doing?" I heard Jeff right behind me as I was cracking some eggs into the pan. It startled me a little.

"Umm, making some eggs. Am I not allowed to?" I said sarcastically.

"Let me." Jeff replied, pushing me gently to the side so he could take over the pan.

"I can cook my eggs, I'm not a little kid." It was a little annoying the way he didn't let me do things for myself.

"It's fine. I'll do it." He was unusually nice and calm.

I simply sat by the kitchen counter, observing his actions. He was still shirtless. It made me a bit uneasy, but I honestly didn't mind it.

When the eggs were finally done he put them on the plate and served them to me.

"Aren't you gonna eat too?" I asked as I took my first bite.

"Not hungry." Jeff seemed to be thinking about something a lot. He plopped onto the couch and stared in front of himself. If it weren't for that carved smile he'd look troubled. Like he couldn't find his inner peace.

I kept on wondering how he as a killer generally lived with himself. How can you take so many lives and be okay about it? I couldn't even hurt a fly. Let alone another human being.  Yet for him it was no big deal. Are you just born a cold blooded killer? Or maybe something in your life makes you one. Perhaps it was a painful incident? Perhaps he just has no feelings. Maybe killing is the only thing that makes him feel. I've read about things like that in books and such. But then why does he 'need' me? Alive. I couldn't understand.

"Jeff, can I ask you something?" I asked as I made my way to the couch.

"Ask me what?"

I sat next to him. "Why didn't you kill me yet?"

My curious stare made him chuckle a little. "You want to be killed?"

I frowned. "No. But you didn't answer."

He sighed. "I thought I told you already. You're somehow different."

"What is different?"

After a little moment of silence he spoke again. "To be truthful I don't know. I just know that I have to have you. For myself and nobody else. Forever. So you can never leave. Ever."

"What kind of a reason it that?? So, you're just gonna keep me like I'm some object?" I was getting a little frustrated. "I'm not a thing, Jeff. I'm a human being. I have rights."

He groaned, getting a little annoyed by my complaining. "Can you quit it? Just deal with the fact that your life is here with me now. If anything, you should be thankful. I took you out of your misery. You had nowhere to go apart from that friend of yours. What kind of a life is living with someone else's family like some imposter?"

"I wasn't an imposter! They accepted me and took me in. They cared!" I felt tears forming.

"Oh please! You really think they cared? They just felt responsible for you because you're their daughters best friend and you had no one left, but her. They didn't actually care, you were just a responsibility to them. A burden."

A little stream came down my face. "How can you say that? You don't even know them. You wouldn't know what caring is. I know they cared for me. They were the only people who fucking loved me!"

At those words Jeff lost it. As he stood up he kicked a coffee table in front of the couch, knocking it over with a bang. "The fuck they cared!" In frustration he searched for words. "What about me? You think I don't care? I care more they ever could! You're the only person I care about. Can't you accept that? Your dead to them now, literally. I'm the only one you have left."

I curled up into a little ball on the couch. The way he smacked reality into my face was a little too much. I couldn't control my sobs as I felt like everything was shattering. All because of a jealous killer.

He sat down close to me. His arms wrapped around me as he pulled me even closer. I felt his head on top of mine. I could hear his heartbeat. It was beating quick, like mine. My sane mind wanted to push him away, but it all felt so natural. I leaned back a little so I could look Jeff in the eyes. They were troubled. I could tell he was confused and unfamiliar with all these feelings. A part of me wished to hold him closer and tell him that it was okay. That I was here and I wasn't gonna leave. Instead, I did something even more unexpected. I kissed him.

He was caught a little by surprise, but then kissed back. I knew this was crazy. I thought I hated this guy just a minute ago, but at that moment I felt like I could tell him anything. He needed me and now I understood why. He needed my affection, my care. Without me he was all alone in this world.

He leaned back with a grin on his face. I could tell that he was celebrating a little victory. I felt my cheeks burning up as I stared at his bare chest.

Is this my destiny? I mean, I never liked the idea of 'prince charming', but a killer? That's a whole other level. Not to mention his bipolar mood swings. I knew that living with him was dangerous, unstable, but I was ready to accept whatever was to come. I was ready to accept him for the murderer that he is. As messed up as that sounds.

Thank you guys so so much for reading! I really hope you're enjoying this story so far. I have a lot of inspiration writing it and I will do my best to update as often as possible. <3