Chapter 22: truth

(Y/n)'s POV

Present time

I sat in bed, stuffing my face with delicious chocolate chip muffins. When I woke up, they were waiting for me on the night table. Jeff, must have brought them. He himself wasn't there like most of the time, but I thought it was really sweet of him to bring me these muffins. Kinda like breakfast in bed.

I hadn't had a normal, tasty breakfast in forever. This was a real treat. I only wish he was here now. Like in those cliche movies when two people sleep together and then wake up the next morning cuddling all cozily with one another. But that's okay.

After I was finished eating I got out of bed and hopped into the shower. Then I put some fresh clothes on and went to find something that would replace my boredom.

I noticed that Jeff had left his laptop open on the desk. Hesitantly I sat on the chair by the desk. Why am I so nervous? It's not like I'll look through his files. I just want to watch some YouTube or something... he can't get mad about that.

It's strange that after all this time I'm still so afraid of him. But that's where the problem lies. I have to get over myself and just live.

I moved my pointer finger on the sensitive part of the laptop and the screen instantly switched on. Right there in front of me was an open file caller "Mark". I frowned. Mark? That's by missing brothers name. Could this just be a coincidence?

I told myself I wouldn't snoop around, but I just had to. What if this had answers I needed for such a long time.

The file had a folder, a Word file and an mp4 in it. The folders was named "pics". I clicked on it and my eyes went wide open. I was right. There were multiple pictures of Mark, my brother, taken before he disappeared. In one of them I could see myself walking right beside him. This was taken the night he went missing. I covered my mouth with my hand.

The Word file was named "about" I clicked on it and it had all the information about my brother. It was scary how much they knew about him. There was everything, from what school he went to, to his relatives, to his hair and eye color. It even had my name there.

"What the hell..."

I scrolled up a little.

"About Mark:
This boy has a warm heart, the insanity in him won't show as long as he's with his family, especially his little sister, (y/n). These people keep him calm, therefore, he must be taken away from them. They keep him away from his full potential. Mark would make a remarkable killer, but he must forget his family ever existed."

At this point I had my mouth wide open. This can't be. Was Jeff involved in Mark's disappearance?

It was all too much to take in. I just sat by the desk, staring at the screen. Just when I thought everything was gonna be okay it all came crumbling down again. Was my brother... one of them?

Suddenly, the door opened and I jumped. I turned my head to look at Jeff, who was getting visibly annoyed at the fact that I was looking through his laptop.

"The fuck are you doing?" He growled, a little less furiously than usual.

"Jeff..." I mumbled quietly.

"What?" He spat annoyed

"Mark..." I said in the same tone.

"Speak up, I can't hear shit you're saying."

"Mark." I said louder this time. "You know what happened to my brother. Mark."

Jeff's expression switched from annoyed to confused. "So that's what you've been looking at." He sighed.

"What have you done to him? What is going on?" I asked firmly as I stood up to face Jeff with my whole body.

"It's secret information, you have no right to know." He answered strictly.

"What do you mean I have no right to know?? He's my brother!" I was getting more enraged. "Jeff, I need to know everything." I started walking closer to him and as I was centimeters away I looked him right into those unblinking eyes with a demanding stare. "Tell me."

"He stared back for a few seconds, then looked away. "Fine. Sit down." He finally broke.

We sat down on the bed and be began.

"You've probably read about how Mark has strong potential for killing. He's a natural. Now, let me explain how it works. Real killers are born that way. It's in our blood. And Slenderman gathers them from all over the world to work for him. Mark is one of us." Jeff explained.

"Wait... he's here somewhere?" I mumbled.

"Yes, but you can't see him."

"Why not??"

"Because the only thing stopping him from being a great killer is his family, more specifically you, (y/n)." He finished explaining.

I looked down at my hands and took a deep breath. Jeff out his hand on my shoulder.

"You should be happy, for most of us our families are our first target. You could have possibly been dead a long time ago. But your brother is different. He loved you. You kept him sane." Jeff tried to comfort me.

"But... why can't he just... be sane then?" I asked.

"Slenderman won't let that happen. He needs anyone with this kind of potential."

"Well, can't I just see him once?" I hoped.

"Sure, but he doesn't remember you."

I sighed. There goes my last family member. All these years I held my hopes up, never stopped believing that I'd see him again. And now that I know exactly where he is and what happened it all just sort of fell apart. That's fine, I thought. At least I'm not alone in this. I turned to Jeff and hugged him, burying my face in his chest. He wrapped his arms abound me, making me feel a bit better.

"Thank you for telling me." I murmured. The sound coming out muffled. He didn't answer, just pet my head and held me close.

It was so weird how soft he was getting with me. Compared to the first time we met, when he kidnaped me. I remember how he threw me across the room like I was nothing. He was like a different man now.

I remembered a quote.

"How wonderful, how strange, to be loved by someone who hates all else."

It fit our situation perfectly. The news about my brother didn't even seem so bad, knowing I had Jeff. However, I was secretly determined to still see my brother no matter what.

Thank you so much for reading! I'm still shocked that this fanfic is doing so well. Y'all are amazing! :D