Chapter 29: LJ

"(Y/n), you look terrible. What happened?" Alex asked as I walked into the staff room.

"I couldn't sleep last night. I had such horrible nightmares." I answered.

"Shit... maybe you should take a day off work." He suggested.

"No, I can't. I mean, I'm fine. I can work today."

"It's fine, (y/n), I can tell you need some rest." He insisted.

"What's the point, I can't sleep anyway. And besides, I need something to distract me." I said.

"Well, alright then. But don't hesitate to tell me if you need anything. Okay?"

"Okay, thanks, Alex."

"Oh and umm... I wanted to talk to you about the other night. I thought, we both had great time, but it doesn't seem like we're..." I cut him off.

"It's okay, Alex, this doesn't have to go anywhere. I think it's better if we just stay friends. Right?" I suggested while putting on my work apron.

"Oh... uh... yeah. Yeah, you're right. Just friends." He mumbled the last part in a sad tone.

"You're okay with that, right?"

"Yeah! Of course. That's exactly what I wanted." I could tell he wasn't being truthful with that one, but I let it slide through my mind.

The workday passed as usual, except less joking around with other staff members. I got a lot of 'how are you's and a lot more suggestions to go home, but I didn't listen to any of them. However, as hard as I tried, the nightmares didn't leave my head.

"So... did you already take the pill?" Alex asked as I was lost in thought.

"No. I couldn't."

"Because of the nightmares?"

"Yeah..." I spoke sadly, restlessly.

"Haven't you thought that maybe it's a sign from God?" Alex said. "A sign that you shouldn't get that abortion?"

"Alex, in my dream, my baby was a monster." I said, slight fright in my voice.

He frowned. "Maybe that's just the way you see it? You know, our dreams represent our subconsciousness. You see this baby as a threat, you're scared of it. Well, more like scared of what's gonna happen after you give birth to it. But you shouldn't be."

I looked up at his brown eyes and sighed. In a normal situation I'd say he was right, but this wasn't a normal situation. I was quite literally carrying what possibly could be a monster inside of me.

"No, Alex, this is more than just my subconsciousness, it's..."

"Is it because it belongs to a criminal? (Y/n), just because the father is an ass, doesn't mean your baby will be. It's all in you. You can raise it right." He didn't back down.

"That's not gonna work. T-this baby is... it's not just a criminal's baby. It's a..." my thought was cut off by a familiar melody. It rang in my ears.

Sounded something like... pop goes the weasel.

"D-do you hear that?" I asked.

"Hear what?" Alex frowned.

"This melody. You know, pop goes the weasel?" I said.

"No, I hear nothing. (Y/n), you're scaring me a little." He answered.

"Seriously? You can't hear it? But it's so clear. How can you not..." that's when I heard a deep rusty, clown like voice.

"Hello there, (y/n), aren't you adorable? Now, I know what you might be thinking. What is this strange voice coming from no where else, but your own head. Firstly, let me introduce myself. I am Laughing Jack, but you can call me LJ, just because you seem so sweet. Haha."