Chapter 4: manipulation

Once again I woke up to the sounds of police investigation. Seriously, all this blacking out has to stop. I was on a bed in the guest room that was made of comforting beige colors.  Natalie sat right next to me. She instantly noticed that I had woken up.

"Y/n..." she clearly wasn't sure what to tell me. "A-are you okay?"

I sat up remembering what had happened. I stayed silent for a moment. Then nodded. The weird thing was that I knew I should feel devastating and miserable right now, but I felt so empty. Like my mind blocked out all those emotions.

"The police said they'd like to ask you some questions" Natalie told me silently.

I nodded again and got up. I walked out of the room. Everyone glanced at me. "I'm r-ready to answer your questions." As soon as I said that one of the police officers walked up to me. "Are you sure?" I nodded and we got right into it.

"Miss l/n, your friend already told us that you were with her in the time of the murder. However, I also heard that you got into a quarrel with your former guardians. Is that correct?"

"Yes"

"Can you describe what happened?"

"My stepfather was abusive, that time was no different." Usually I would avoid talking about these things, but it was different now.

"I see. And is there anyone apart from your friend Natalie that knew about that? Perhaps a protective boyfriend?"

I cringed at the word 'boyfriend' then hesitated for a second and slowly shook my head. I could tell the police now about the smiling boy. So why did I still keep on hiding it? Something was holding me back. I couldn't quite make out what it was. Maybe because I thought they'd think I'm making it up or something. Maybe because I was just scared.

"Are you sure about that, miss l/n?"

I raised my head and looked him right in the eyes. "Yes, I'm sure, officer."

He sighed. After that he asked a couple more irrelevant questions. I answered them all and I'm guessing it wasn't much use.  "Alright then, thank you for your time." he said as he got up.

That day was a mess. Me and Natalie skipped school. I couldn't eat anything. Fortunately, we didn't have to go live somewhere else until the police investigate the crime scene. The house was big enough for us to stay and not bother any of the investigators. The time went by slowly, but eventually it was night time and we all managed to fall asleep. Surprisingly, even myself. Next to Natalie's bed of course.

The next morning I was awoken by everyone getting ready for work and school. I wasn't ready for school yet. I decided to spend the day by myself in town.

I lied in bed for a while before getting out and getting ready to go. For late October it was surprisingly warm. I went to my favorite coffee shop and sat there thinking of everything that happened. There was so much, it all seemed like a dream. My parents funeral was in two days. I didn't want to go...

My thoughts were cut off by a soft knock on the coffee shop window I was sitting by. As I raised my head I saw a familiar hooded figure. My eyes widened with anger. I rushed outside.

"You! It was you wasn't it?! You sick maniac!" My eyes were tearing up. "Why would you do this? I never asked you to!" Once again he cut me off, but this time by grabbing my wrist and pulling me along with him.

"W-what are you-"

He pulled me behind a corner into some ally and pressed his finger on my lips.

"First of all, I didn't hear a thank you. And second, it's fun. Messing with you that is. And seeing you in such despair. I find it strangely adorable when you're all miserable and helpless" he grinned.

"Who the fuck are you?"

"Let's just say I am now in control of your life and that's all you need to know, sweetheart. By the way, if you want that friend of yours to stay alive, you better keep your mouth shut and obey my orders. Is that clear?" He said as he leaned in closer. I was pressed down to the wall so there was no where to lean back. All I could do is nod.

"Good girl." he smiled.

He was so close now I could feel the warmth of his breath. I hated to admit it, but somehow it felt comforting. Am I going crazy? I stared into his sky blue eyes. They were so hypnotizing and-

He let out that rusty deep laugh. "Don't tell me you're actually attracted to me."

I blushed in frustration. "W-what? No way! Who could ever like a murderer like you? I hate you!" I spat at him without much thought.

His grin disappeared. He leaned back and  looked at me with an intense glare. "Exactly. A bad guy never gets the girl, right? Good thing we don't don't obey stereotypes." Now he was starting to scare me again with that evil looking smile. I gulped. "Tonight, wait for me outside your house. And not a word to anyone." He smirked and casually walked away.

I just stood there frozen for a couple of minutes. Was I gonna go? Of course. Natalie's life depends on it. Was I scared? I was shitting bricks. But I had no choice.

That night I told everyone I would sleep in the guest room so I could sneak out without getting noticed. As they fell asleep I slid into my jeans, and an oversized hoodie. After making sure the coast was clear I went outside. Almost instantly someone grabbed me from behind and shut me from screaming with their hand.

"Shh it's me." A familiar voice.

I relaxed a bit, but tensed up right after I heard a female voice. "Again, Jeff, why do we need her?" So his name's Jeff. And who was that girl?

"Because, Jane, she's gonna be the bait."