Chapter 25: friend

I woke up on the floor in my parents' old apartment. Instantly a waft of disappointment washed over me. It was all real. Jeff really left me. Just like that. All alone.

For a few minutes I sat like this, staring at the wall and trying to gather some strength. It's like I was thrown back into the real world, only this time I had absolutely no one. It reminded me of the deaths of my mother and Natalie. How Natalie was always there for me when I needed her. But I was on my own.

I didn't do anything for the next two days, as well as didn't eat anything. Just sat on the couch, looking at nothing. Falling asleep on that same couch, but waking up to all kinds of nightmares.

Finally, I've decided to do something I looked around the house. It was cleaned up after the murders. The small corridor led straight to the living room that still had all its furniture in it; a white leather couch, a coffee table and a medium sized tv. On the right of the living room was a small kitchen, the split between them was a counter with a couple of stools on the living room side.

When you entered the apartment there were two doors, both on different sides. The right one led to the bathroom and the left one led to my old room. The door on the left of the living was leading to the master bedroom, the one I decided to put all my stuff in since it had the big bed.

I went through my mother's closet and was surprised to see that all her clothes were still there. Nobody even touched a thing. It's like our old home was abandoned.

I threw all my clothes on the floor (since it had Jeff's scent all over it and I did not want to think about that) and put on my mothers oversized knitted gray sweater with a big puffy turtle neck and some regular jeans. We used to have very similar body types, therefore we often shared clothes. Well, before she met my stepdad and then... died.

I looked at the clock. It showed 12:16. I've been sleeping for quite a while on that cold hard floor... no wonder my whole body hurts.

At this point I had no idea what to do. I had no money, no friends, nobody at all. I knew I should eat something, but I had no appetite. Then I thought I should go out and get some fresh air.

My mom's coat hung on the hanger by the front door so I threw it on and left.

The weather was nice. A little chilly, but the sun peeked from under the clouds, nicely warming my cheeks. After yesterday the ground was covered in a thin layer of glistening snow. It was a Monday, so all the kids were at school and most people were at work, making the streets fairly empty, except for a few elderlies and a couple of parents, walking with their toddlers.

It was peaceful. The opposite of what was going on inside my head. In my mind I thought I was going crazy, but my emotions were slowly going numb.

I walked to the nearby park and sat on the bench. For a while I just stared at the passing people, thinking about what their life was like. What were they going through. Most of them seemed so happy. I got a little jealous.

A little girl, held by her mother by the hand was jumping forward, babbling something to herself. They walked right past me. I caught myself giving them a little nostalgic smile. They reminded me of me and my mom. Those were good times.

As I was looking around I noticed my favorite coffee shop. I used to go there everyday after school with Natalie. There was a piece of paper taped to the window. I approached it.

"Looking for staff"

"Hmm... maybe I should try to get this job." I mumbled under my breath.

So I entered and as soon as I did I noticed that I knew one of the baristas. He had been working here for a very long time and since I came here a lot we don't of chatter from time to time. He was a half-Spanish guy in his late twenties, dark hair, chocolate brown eyes and a five o'clock shadow that made him look very laid back, which he was. He was a good looking guy, to be honest and fun to hang out with. Coffee was in his blood, as he used to say.

I sighed in relief to see a familiar face.

"(Y/n)! Oh my god!" He instantly noticed me and rushed to hug me. "I thought you were dead. What happened?"

"Alexander! It's so good to see you. Oh god... so much happened. I'm not even sure I'm allowed to tell you." I relaxed in his arms.

"What do you mean? You have to tell me everything! Were you kidnaped? How did you escape?" He pulled me away, holding me by the shoulders so he could look at my face. "I mean, the only way to catch them is if you tell everything."

"No!" I panicked, to which he got confused. "I-I mean. No, it's fine. Look, I really need a job. And I'd really appreciate if you didn't ask me this stuff. I don't really want to talk about it. I hope that's fine." I asked nicely. He just looked at me with concern in his eyes, but that was replaced by a comforting smile.

"Alright, that's fine. Hey, and we're just short on staff, so you came right on time." He said cheerfully.

"Yeah, I saw the sign." I smiled.

"God, it's so good to see you, (y/n). It's been so long." He spoke, putting an arm over my shoulders and leading me to the staff room to talk about the job.

"Yeah... it really has been long." I uttered, deeply in thought.

***

"Great job today! I think you're a natural." Alexander praised me on the end of my fifth day.

"Thanks, Alex, but you've been saying that for the past five days." I laughed.

"Well yeah, you deserve to know." He smiled.

"I really don't think I'm that good. I mean, I've spilled coffee like twenty times already!" I said while whining the tables.

"That's fine, I've seen worse."

Things have been going much better than I thought they'd be. Alex suggested I'd take an early payment when I explained him my situation, so I haven't been starving. Working at a coffee shop is a lot of fun too. And with all that happening I barely had the time to think about Jeff. Specially when hanging out with Alexander. Its only been a week, but we seemed to hit it off pretty well.

I walked home that evening, which luckily was not too far away, since it was getting cooler with each day. After a quick shower I jumped into pj's and made myself some nice hot tea and drank it with cookies by the tv.

Shortly, I went to bed. Surprisingly, I've been sleeping quite well. But early the next morning I woke up to this terrible nausea, which made me rush to the bathroom. I barely made it to open the lid before throwing up.

Walking out of the bathroom I tried to find a reason to this. But then, I remembered the last time I saw Jeff. The last thing we did. C-could I be... no! I shook my head. No way. This can't be. Or can it?

"I'll just take a pregnancy test. It'll just come out as a negative and I can then live in peace." I said to myself with a nervous voice.

I quickly got dressed and went out to the nearest drugstore to buy a couple of pregnancy tests. After getting back home, without even taking my coat off I went ahead and did both of them.

The few minutes that I had to wait seemed like the longest time ever.

Finally, I got the courage to look at them and they both came out positive.

Bam! Some of you guessed it right x)
And what?? Two updates in one day. Crazy right :D
Anyway, hope you enjoyed <3