Chapter 38: goodbye

It was about a week after the birth. They allowed me to stay and recover. But that time flew by quicker than a lightening bolt and before I knew it I was told to gather my things.

Jeff was silent the whole time. Not a word. I noticed that he was trying to avoid looking at me.

After Hunter was born he was a bit more like he used to be at first, attentive and caring, but mostly only around our child. In other cases he was distant again.

Anyway, everyone's attention that week circled around Hunter, though, I could tell that he didn't like it. He'd just stare at everyone with those piercing blue eyes. Eyes that seemed to be out of this world. It mesmerized everyone. He was one of a kind.

Now that I had him, the situation with Jeff wasn't as bad. It was painful, of course, but at least I didn't feel as lonely. I had someone to think about, someone else to care about.

I was finally finished packing my things and Jeff helped me take everything down and into his van. After a few quick goodbyes in the mansion we were on the road, silently listening to the sounds of the vehicle. It was weird thinking that I'll never see any of creepypastas again.

I remembered the time I wanted to get out of that place. When all I wanted was to just have a normal life again. And here I was, wishing that I could stay. Life was indeed strange. The way things can turn out. The way fate can be so cruel.

I glanced at Jeff. He had his full focus on the road ahead.

"Can't we just run away?" I suggested.

"No." He gave me a short answer.

"No? But-"

"They'll find us no matter where we'll be. I'm bound to them, I'm a part of it all. I can't just run away." He said.

I sighed. Hunter babbled something in the back, where we arranged him a baby-proof seat. I turned back at him and talked cutely a little to make him laugh.

For the remaining part of the road we just sat there. It felt like forever. At the same time I didn't really want to arrive. Because at the end of the trip there will be Jeff no more. I treasured every moment with him, even if it was just his presence that I got.

Things changed so much in only a year. I was a completely different person. My life was completely different. At this point everything just seemed unreal.

I've grown so much during that time. I've also done so many things. Things I could even imagine myself doing. Hell, I even killed a person.

As thoughts rushed in my head, we reached a peaceful looking neighborhood. It was your typical suburb. Houses neatly aligned with each other. A forest nearby. We passed a couple of small stores. Not much to expect in such place, but it was perfect for a quiet life.

The van stopped next to a house at the very end of the street. It was nice brownish grey with white trims around the roof and the corners and some white columns. Simple, but cozy. It was also by the very edge of the woods.

"Were here." Jeff announced as he was getting out of the car. I followed his lead and got out too, picking up Hunter from the back with me.

"It's nice." I said quietly, inspecting the house with my eyes. It was beautiful. However, that didn't make me feel any better.

We unpacked my stuff and soon came the moment I dreaded for such a long time. I couldn't believe it. It was all over so soon.

I put Hunter in his new crib and put him so sleep. He was a good kid, it was easy to calm him down and he easily slept.

Me and Jeff stood by the front door. I could tell that he was hesitating to leave. So we continued standing there, prolonging the time as much as we could. This was really it. Time to say goodbye.

"I love you." I murmured. He glanced at me. Then looked down at his feet, sadness in his eyes.

Suddenly he embraced me, pulling my body close to his. That smell I had missed to much. The warmth of his body. The security that I felt in his strong arms.

I soon noticed myself tearing up. I hugged him tighter and so did he.

"I'm gonna miss you, (y/n). I'm gonna miss you so fucking much..." he whispered in my ear.

I squeezed my eyes. "I know..."

"This isn't the end." He added. "One day, I'm gonna find you. And we'll be together again."

I leaned back a bit to look him in the eyes with a questioning face.

"I don't care what they say, this isn't right." He continued. "You and me are supposed to be together and it's not fair that we need to part"

I felt a warm stream go down my cheek.

"Promise me something." Jeff said. Promise me that no matter what, you'll wait for me."

The tears came running down even more aggressively. "I promise. I will never stop loving you. I don't care that they're gonna erase my memory. You will always be in my heard, Jeff."

"Good, don't give up on their magic. I know you're stronger than that." He kept talking. "Wait for me. No matter how long it takes, just keep in mind that you're never gonna be alone. I'll always be there. Always."

My whole body was shaking slightly, I felt weak. Jeff's arms tightened around my waist and he pulled me in for a kiss. For all I knew, that was our last kiss. But deeply in my heart I knew that it wasn't.

As much as I didn't want to, we leaned back and looked each other deeply in the eyes.

"I love you, (y/n)." He said quietly.

"I love you too." I bit my lip.

"Don't ever stop believing. One day, I'll come back for you. Keep that feeling in your heart." I nodded, the image of Jeff getting blurry.

Soon enough his arms let me go, I was embraced by the cold reality, before I knew it, the front door closed and I was standing I This house all alone. I heard the van speed off and that's when I knew it was finally all over.

After a few minutes of trying to cope with it I broke down on my knees. Crying loudly, not even trying to tame it. It hurt more that anything else. Like my heart was bleeding blood.

That night I took Hunter to sleep with me in my bed. He was all I had left of Jeff. I held him in my arms, still crying myself to sleep. Crying so much that the next day and even a week later I had no tears left to cry. I was dehydrating. My skin felt dry, my eyes were all puffy and red.

Jeff's words echoed in my head.

"Don't ever stop believing. One day, I'll come back for you."

And that gave me hope. One day, we'll be reunited. Together again. Stronger than ever. We'll be a family.

Three months later.

I was out grocery shopping with Hunter. The past few months were lonely. I didn't know anybody in this neighborhood. I knew I needed to make some friends. But I wasn't doing too well with that.

After checking out my groceries I walked outside and got this strange feeling. A feeling of being watched. It felt familiar. Jeff, I thought. I still had a very vague memory of him. I knew who he was, but it was all very blurry.

One year later.

I made some friends in the neighborhood. Everything was going great. I found a job, bought a car. Life was nicely settling in.

One day. I found a strange note by my front door. It said:

Never forget

I frowned. It lit something in the back of my mind. I knew I was waiting for something or someone, I just didn't know who. But out of nowhere, my heart started aching.

I placed the note on my chest and shed a few tears. The feeling was strong. I let out a small whisper:

"I promise."

To be continued...