Chapter 16: good

I waited for Jeff to come back. My stomach still hurting. It felt like my body was gonna eat itself inside out. I started feeling a little lightheaded.

After waiting in boredom for a little while and looking around the room for some kind of activity I finally gave up and plopped myself on the bed, wondering what was Jeff's story. There must be something that happened to him. I remembered the saying my mom used to say before she married my stepdad and I stopped existing to her: 'No one is born bad.'

Was she wrong? Are there people in the world who are simply destined to be bad? Destined to be murderers? Was Jeff's destiny already decided for him?

That's when it occurred to me: what if that Slenderman guy was making him do things? When Jeff spoke about him he didn't seem too comfortable. He also hated calling him his boss. He seemed to hate to have to obey him. Maybe the guy really isn't an apathetic bastard...

For some reason I was trying to somehow convince myself that Jeff was somewhat... good. Why? Why was I trying to see the bright side of him so bad? As if... I wanted to give him a chance. Sure, he's been a jerk at times, but he's also been kind to me. He could have used me in all kinds of sadistic ways a long time ago, but he didn't. Well, almost, but the fact that he still didn't just shows that he might actually not be as bad.

I quickly shook that thought off. No. He killed everyone I loved. There was no way I'd give him a chance. I can come to tolerate him, but not actually like him. I mean, he did kill them out of selfishness. Right? He wanted me all to himself. That's selfish, but... also kind of... cute?

No no no! I shook it off again. I'm just crazy. There's no way I'd like him. No. Never...

As I was drifting off along with my contemplations, a loud door slam made me jump, nearly giving me a heart attack.

"Here." Jeff said, putting a tray with a bowl, some cornflake cereal and milk on it next to me on the bed. "It's the best I could find."

"Finally! Thank you." I said, pouring cornflakes into the bowl.  "Aren't you hungry?"

"I already ate. You shouldn't worry about me." He answered coldly, then walked to the wardrobe.

"Umm... Jeff?"

He was looking for something and didn't turn to me to reply. "What?"

"I just... I wanted to apologize. You know... for what I said. "I mumbled under my breath. "I really don't know you and what you've been through. I was rude, I'm sorry."

He stopped for a second, turned around and looked at me. I could see a little surprise in his eyes. Pleasant surprise. He was trying not to grin at me, which was already impossible and ironic. All he said was:

"You're adorable. You know that?"

Instantly I blushed. This time he didn't hold back and let out a laugh. I turned my eyes away from him. What was I even supposed to say? How am I supposed to react to that? I decided to just leave it at that and eat my cereal, ignoring the weird tingly feeling his words gave me.

After continuing to look through the wardrobe Jeff took out an old dark brown bag that was hidden somewhere deeply.

"What are you gonna do with that?" I asked.

"Getting your stuff." He answered.

"Wait, you're gonna go to Natalie's place? What if her parents are there?"

He gave me a smirk and opened his mouth to say something, but I cut him off:

"No! You're not killing them! I'll go with you." I put a half empty bowl of cereal on the tray and stood up.