Chapter 27: abortion

I took a bus to make my way to the hospital, rethinking my decision. My heart wouldn't stop pounding like crazy. Not even for a second.

I finally reached my stop and got out of the bus. The hospital was now only a few feet away. Everything was becoming more real. I took a deep breath and slowly approached the front door. Right in front of me was the reception.

"U-uh hello, I'm here for the umm... abortion." I uttered, whispering the reason I was here for.

"For what?" The receptionist asked, clearly struggling to understand the last word.

"Ehem... abortion." I said it a bit too loud this time so that everyone in the room started giving me dirty looks. I felt so embarrassed. The buzzing in my ears got so loud I couldn't even hear my thoughts.

"Just go straight through that hallway and then turn to the right, wait there until a doctor calls your name." The receptionist explained.

I followed her directions and sat in the chair to wait for my appointment. There was one other girl waiting too.

"You can never trust the condom companies right?" The girl asked after a minute of silence.

I looked at her. "Yeah..." I lied. Didn't want to seem like a dumbass that I am.

"My boyfriend got really upset. We talked me into getting rid of it." She said. Looking down at her feet sadly.

"That sucks." I answered emotionlessly.

"So what's up with you?"

"My boyfriend left me."

"Oh... that sucks even more. I'm so sorry." She pries consoling me.

I just nodded my head slowly. That's when the door opened and a doctor peeked his head.

"Miss (l/n)? Come on in, please." He said.

I stood up and walked inside. My heart started pounding quicker once I stepped into that room.

"Tell me ,miss (l/n), when did you first start experiencing the symptoms of pregnancy?" The doctor asked.

"Just a couple of days ago." I answered.

"Well then, the procedure shouldn't be that complicated. You would only have to take this drug,  RU-486, that will block a very important hormone, progesterone, which provides the baby with food and oxygen. After about a week the dead fetus should just come out easily." He explained as looked through the drawers, looking for the drug. "You need to start taking these right after you miss the first period." He finally sound the package and handed it to me.

"Thank you, doctor." I uttered.

"Right, if you have any problem or inconvenience, just call me, alright?

I nodded and walked out. The whole way back home I kept thinking if I should take this drug or not. I mean, the way he said it: the dead fetus. It made chills run down my back. I shook it off. That was probably for the best.

When I got home I changed into my pajamas, wrapped myself in a blanket and turned on the tv, trying to forget everything for just a couple of hours. That's when the doorbell rang.

For some reason my heart filled with hope. What if it's Jeff? What if he came back after he found out I was pregnant with his child?