Chapter Fourteen

Michael is sitting in the chair in Paige's hospital room holding her hand when a nurse walks in and says, "Mr. Jackson, why don't you go home and get some sleep? It's unlikely anything is going to happen overnight."

Michael continues to look at Paige as he says, "I won't be able to sleep at my own home anyway."

He then turns to face the nurse and asks, "Are you married? Do you have children?"

She looks down and responds, "Yes, I have a husband and three kids."

Michael nods and says, "So do I. And, apparently, I was almost going to have four."

The nurse walks around to Michael and says, "You shouldn't think like that, it's only going to make it worse for you."

He shakes his head, "What am I supposed to think? That a miracle will happen because my family is more special than others that are in need? And that she'll wake up, keep her memory, and everything will be fine? The doctor said himself there's a big chance she's not going to wake up at all."

The nurse tries to console him by saying, "There's only a thirty percent chance she won't wake up. That means there's a seventy percent chance she is going to survive."

Michael is too depressed to be optimistic.

He replies, "Thirty percent is still bigger than zero percent. Which is what it would be if those people didn't hurt my family."

He starts sobbing and asks the nurse, "Why did it have to be her? Why couldn't it be me? I'm the one they were really after! She doesn't deserve this!"

He gets up and goes to the window, opening up the curtains to see the night sky.

He sees the sky, but he also sees people, hundreds of them, gathered together on the hospital lawn below.

He asks the nurse, "What are all those people doing?"

The nurse's eyebrows furrow as she asks, "You don't know?"

Michael shakes his head and she explains, "They all came after they heard about the accident. The hospital wall's lined with the flowers, candles, and posters they brought. They're here to show their support for Paige and your family."

Michael puts his hand over his mouth as he looks back down at the crowd. Then he sees someone point up at him and wave.

He gives a half smile and waves back.

Suddenly the whole crowd sees him at the window and they all call out to him and wave their posters and candles for him to see.