Chapter Forty

Paige is released from the hospital two days later and Michael wheels her out the doors as the family opens to door to the awaiting crowd.

When the doors open and the crowd sees them come through, piercing screaming races through Paige's ears.

It's the first time she's been able to be in real sunlight for over, well, a couple of months.

She smiles and puts out her hand to high five fans as Michael wheels her to the car.

The car this time, though, is a mini van with a rack underneath to load a wheelchair.

Paige instantly feels the embarrassment and sheer anger from the situation and, as Michael wheels her around to the back, she puts her hand over the wheel of the wheelchair to stop him.

She looks up at him and, after getting over her initial surprise of being able to look at him again, she says to him, "Let me do this. Please."

Michael nods and wheels her to the side door of the van. He slides the door open before turning around and holding his hand out for hers.

Instantly, photographers and paparazzi go crazy taking pictures of this moment.

Paige puts her hand in Michael's outstretched hand and take her good foot, her right foot, on the ground as she begins to pull herself up.

Michael wraps his arms underneath hers and pulls her up the rest of the way until they are standing together looking into each other's eyes.

The crowd cheers and everyone claps as Michael kisses Paige on the forhead and she slides into the seat of the van.

Jackie loads the wheelchair into the back and Michael waves to the crowd before he follows Paige into the van with Prince, Paris, and Blanket.

Then, they head off to Neverland.