Chapter Forty Four

Michael wheels Paige back to their bedroom so they can get ready to go to bed.

Paige changes into her pajamas (with a little struggling) keeping her balance on her right leg constantly.

Michael keeps his eyes on her to make sure she doesn't hurt herself. He wants to give her her independence, but he wants to be there in case anything should go wrong. Besides, he doesn't mind the view.

Paige turns around on her heel and rests her hip on the side of the bed before pulling her right leg up onto the bed and reaching down to pick up her left leg.

Michael changes himself and turns off the light before climbing into the bed.

He leans toward Paige and kisses her.

"I love you," he says.

"I love you, too," Paige says back to him.

Michael gives her a kiss on the forehead and she turns around as he wraps his arm around her and rests his head against her shoulder.

Two hours later, Michael is dead asleep but Paige hasn't been able to close her eyes or turn off her thoughts.

Paige gently lifts Michael's arm from her waist and slowly sets it back down on the bed as she slides out from underneath.

The wheelchair is at the side of the bed and she just puts her right leg in and pulls her left with her arm. She makes sure not to make a lot of noise so she doesn't wake Michael up.

Once she's in the chair, she wheels herself down the hall to the door leading to the upstairs balcony.

Michael went crazy with measures to make the house accessible for her, so all Paige has to do to open doors in the house is press a button on the wall and viola, the door is open.

She wheels out onto the balcony and the crisp, night air of early springtime brushes her face.

Paige looks out across the expanse of Neverland, and as she feels her heart rate pulsing through her hands wrapped around the wheels of the wheelchair, she knows exactly what she has to do.