Chapter Twenty Four

Michael stands in the hall eyeing the door Paris and the guards are behind when Janet approaches him.

"I guess this is as good a time as any to remind you about the fundraiser concert we have in three weeks."

Michael's eyes widen as he remembers, "Shit. I completely forgot."

He puts his hand to his forehead as he thinks.

Janet quickly says, "We totally understand if you're not feeling up to it and you don't want to do it anymore. But I think Paige would really like you to do it. It'll help take things off your mind."

Michael shakes his head a little stressed now, "No, I'm still going to do it. I just completely forgot. Do we even know what we're doing for it?"

Janet nods, "Yeah, the setlist is already figured out. It's pretty much a couple of the old Jackson 5 songs, a couple of mine, a couple of yours, and then us together in "Scream."

He ponders this for a minute, "Simple enough, I guess. What's this a fundraiser for again?"

Janet hesitates before murmuring, "Brain damage awareness."

Michael sighs, "Oh, how fitting."

Then the door opens and Paris and the guards step out of the room.

Michael can see tear stains on her face and he instantly becomes worried.

He's about to grill the guards as one says, "She's fine. Just the details are still a little too fresh. But we're confident that this case will be successful and the culprits will be sent away."

Michael wraps his arm around Paris and steers her away, "Thank you for everything."