Chapter Twenty One

Lockhart walks out of the hospital room and sees the entire Jackson family waiting outside the door.

When they see him come out, they all stand up and he can see their worried faces.

He's still calming down after the event, but he says, "Paige woke up a lot earlier than expected and it wasn't enough time for the swelling to go down. It caused irregular blood flow and slowed down her heart rate and kept her from breathing, so we had to put her in a medically induced coma."

Lockhart looks behind him into the room and adds, "Unfortunately, Michael witnessed the whole thing and is a little distraught at the moment. So I would let him cool down a little before going in."

The family thanks him before Lockhart walks down the hall.

Everyone then begins talking amongst themselves and after a couple minutes, Janet steps forward and turns to talk to them, "I think we all know that Michael is more than a little distraught right now."

The family agrees and she says to Katherine, "Mom, I think you should be the one to go in there. Michael's really going to need his mom right now. I know I would want you to be there with me."

Katherine wipes hers tears off her face and comes up to give Janet a hug, "Thank you, honey."

Katherine walks up to the door and turns the latch to enter the room.

She finds Michael with his head down on Paige's bed and Katherine has to keep herself from crying, wishing she could just take away all the pain from him.

She puts her hand on his shoulder, "Michael, it's going to be okay. This means that Paige is going to live. She's going to live, Michael. It's great news."