Chapter Fifteen

As he waves to the crowd, Michael looks back at Paige and wonders what she would do in this situation.

He knows exactly what she would do.

He runs out of the room and down the hall into Paris' room.

She's asleep but Michael wakes her up.

"Paris, I have something you'll want to see," he says as he pulls back the curtains.

He waves her over, "Come here."

Paris is perfectly fine, but the hospital wants her to stay the night and rest.

She gets up off the bed and walks over to the window, "What is- oh my gosh."

She looks down at all the people, who are now trying to relocate Michael.

They spot Paris and Michael in the window and call out Paris' name.

"Are they all here for us?" Paris asks her Dad.

He replies, "Yes they are," as he wraps his arm around his daughter.

"I am so glad you are okay and safe, Paris. I don't know what I would've done if you were hurt in the accident also."

Paris turns to him and asks, "Did anybody tell you what happened before the accident?"

Michael gets upset again and says, "What else is it that I don't know?"

Paris hesitates and then explains, "Paige saw what the SUVs were doing so she blocked me with her arm and moved the car so it would hit her side instead of mine. The only reason I'm not hurt is because she protected me, Dad. And I feel like she wouldn't be in this if it weren't for me, if I wasn't there."

Paris starts crying for the second time since the accident.

The first time was right after the accident when Paris was trying desperately to get Paige to stop bleeding and wake up as the cops and ambulances came to their rescue.

Michael has to keep himself from crying so he can appear strong for Paris as he says, "No, Paris, this is not your fault. Whoever it was in those SUVs, it was their fault, not yours! And as much as it absolutely breaks my heart that Paige is hurt, I am so grateful for her because she saved my little girl for me."

Paris sobs, "I love you, Dad. I'm so, so sorry."

Michael pulls her into a hug and says, "I love you, too, Paris," as tears fall down his face.