Chapter Thirty

Today's the performance and since the whole family is there, Chris is the only one able to stay by Paige.

They are going to have the TV on so he will be able to watch and she will be able to listen.

Michael is getting ready and he feels excited and nervous.

He's excited to perform and hopefully have Paige hear, and maybe raise a good amount of money for charity.

He's also nervous though, but he can't pinpoint why.

When the family goes out on to the stage, Michael makes a speech, "We would like to dedicate this performance to people and their families suffering from brain cancer. I would also like to dedicate this to my wife, Paige, who is currently in the hospital with a medically induced coma recovering from brain damage caused in a car accident. I want to tell her I love her and I hope that she can wake up soon."

The crowd cheers and screams and Michael raises his hand with a peace sign.

Then he turns around and the music begins playing.

Chris sits in the hospital room watching, "Did you hear that? We all hope you get better soon," he says to Paige.

A nurse comes in and looks at the TV, "He's amazing," signaling to Michael dancing.

Chris smiles at his friend, "Yeah, he's the best!"

The nurse smiles and plays with settings on the machines before she leaves.

Chris pauses, thinking her visit was too short, there was something missing.

He looks at the machines and then at Paige's UV.

He realizes the nurse didn't replace the propofol.

Chris' eyes widen and he darts out into the hall, "Nurse! Nurse!"

He catches the nurse and exlaims breathing heavily from running, "You ... forgot to ... replace ... the propofol."

The nurse smiles, "Take a breath. It's okay, Dr. Lockhart told me not to replace it."

Chris gawks, "But then it'll wear off and she'll wake up!"

She explains, "Lockhart says she's ready to wake up and the swelling's down. It only gets her addicted the longer we keep her on it when she doesn't need it anymore."

Chris shakes his head furiously and yells, "No! You gotta replace it so she doesn't wake up when Michael's gone. He needs to be there when she wakes up! I'm not gonna let you take that away from him!"

The nurse replies, "I'm sorry, it's orders."

Chris begs her, "Only for a few hours until the performance is over. Please, come on you gotta help me out here!"

The nurse shakes her head again unrelenting, "I'm sorry. You'll have to take it up with Dr. Lockhart."

Chris sighs and goes searching for the doctor, he's on a time limit before the propofol wears off.