Chapter Sixty

"Oh no," Jonas mumbles. He runs around the bed and wraps an arm around Michael, pulling him back out of the curtain and into the hall. Michael struggles against his hold and Jonas releases him once they get a safe distance from the room.

"What are you doing?!" Michael asks him sternly.

"I had to get you out of there. Did you hear her?" Jonas is raising his voice at him.

Michael shakes his head as he thinks about it. "I don't get it! She said she doesn't know who I am! What does that mean?"

Jonas gives him a serious face, "She has amnesia, Michael."

"No, she can't," Michael says in denial. "She can't forget all of this!"

Jonas tells him, "Well it looks like that's the case."

Michael's surprised at Jonas' harshness. Wouldn't he be sad too rather than angry?

"Wait, but how does she remember you and not me?" Michael asks him.

Jonas shrugs. "She probably just doesn't remember recent memories."

"Recent memories?" Michael asks him sarcastically. "I've known her for four years!"

Jonas snaps at Michael. "Yeah, well that's nothing compared to the rest of her life!"

Inside the room, Paige stares at the curtain in confusion. She looks over at Janet and Wissam and Janet smiles at her.

Paige gives a half smile back in courtesy at the unknown woman.

Janet takes a step closer to the bed. "Hi, do you know who I am?"

Paige replies, "No. I've never seen you before." She looks at Janet like she's weird because there's been a lot of strangers in her room.

Janet breathes in. "I'm Janet. Janet Jackson."

She waits for a reaction from Paige, hoping she registers the name, but Paige just keeps staring back at her blankly.

"I'm your sister-in-law. The man who just went out of the room, he's my brother." She says slowly.

Paige switches her glance to the curtain thinking about the man with the black hair and then she looks back at Janet. "If you're my sister-in-law, and he's your brother, then you're saying he's my husband..."

"Yeah..." Janet says.

Paige chuckles for a little bit at the craziness.

"Okay, what is going on? Where's Daniel?" Paige asks annoyed and frustrated.

"Uh, I'll go find out," Janet says while moving back the curtain to step out of the room. She finds Jonas and Michael in the hall and walks up to them.

She points her finger back at the door of the room. "Um, Paige wants to know where a guy named Daniel is..."

Both Michael and Jonas look at her with an alerted face.

"Shit," they say at the same time.

"What? What am I missing?" Janet asks.

Jonas tells her, "He was her best friend until he died in war about five and a half years ago."

"Looks like her memory stops off right before his death. Right in the good ol' days," he says.

Michael clears out his throat with a cough and Jonas rolls his eyes at him. "The good days before you came along, Prince Charming."

Michael tells him, "Look, I don't know why you have such an attitude-"

Jonas cuts him off by yelling, "You don't know how lucky you are! You don't know how fucking LUCKY you are!"