Chapter twenty-seven

Marshall's p.o.v

if you really like her, tell her already before it gets even complicated...

How cheesy can Jake's line be that it even keeps on repeating on my mind?. After Marceline took off, me and fionna already went our way. Now, we're here at the woods. We decided to walk since the couples night won't start until ten in the evening. I can hear our loud footsteps and the crackings of the leaves as we walk. We both kept silent all this time and I don't know why. Sometimes I can just feel her glancing at me, which is totally awkward.

This time, she was looking at me for real. She's not just stealing glances, she's really looking at me! I felt the tension grow. "why are you looking at me like that?" I asked

It took her a moment before answering me, "wha-?..ah...um..I'm..I'm sorry" she stuttered, I turned my attention back to the road. Then suddenly something kept me from walking. "can we stop here for awhile?.." she asked softly as she let go of my jacket. She then leaned on the tree as I kept hovering, turning my attention to her.

"do you..do you like Marceline?" she suddenly asked me with uneasiness in her eyes.

"eh?...why are you asking me such things?"

"I just want to know...I'm your friend right?, so I have the right to know!"...what~ why is she so demanding right now?

"you don't need to know any of that things"

"so..you like her?"

"what? n.no" I said as fast as I could

"tell me the truth, Marshall. I know when your lying"

I breathed in heavily, "I don't like her okay?! and.I.never.will, and I'mlikeherbestbud. who would even think she'll like me back if I.ever did liked her?" I said in hurry, making my voice grow loud.

Did it hurt? Heck yeah, it did. Who wouldn't get hurt?. Admitting she wouldn't like me back because I'm like her best buddy made me feel like my hearts gonna sink down to my stomach! Just saying an easy 'no' doesn't even feel right!

I bit my lip, "is that what you wanted to hear?" I asked her softly

"no Marshall. I only wanted a yes or a no" she said, walking in front of me. As for me, I just stood there, still feeling a little down.

"wha--" I reacted as soon as she kissed my cheek. I wiped my cheek with the back of my hand. (sigh) I don't really need kisses right now.

She tapped my nose playfully with her forefinger. "That's for saying those naughty excuses and lying to me". Since when did she care if I lie to her?. "and this..this is for saying I'm sorry", she wrapped her arms around me, letting me in her embrace. Maybe I don't need kisses but I definitely need comfort right now. I hugged her back, returning her embraces. Now, both of us just stood there, with our hands wrapped around each other.She was the first one to let go.

"I know you like her Marshall...why don't you just tell her?, there's really a great chance of her liking you back, y'know!" she suddenly said

"why? are you that jealous?" I teased her making her chuckle

"y'know, I'm your friend...but I think I liked you for a moment there!" she exclaimed, I almost choked making her laugh

"I thought you like Fp?"

"nah!! I actually don't understand myself..I liked FP, then gumball, then..you. tss! it's complicated"

"yeah, your complicated!"

"hmm..but if she doesn't like you back..I'll still be here" she said with sincerity written all over her face, what's with her just now? is that really true? tss..sometimes she just tease me with her so called 'feelings' for me, but I don't know if it's true or not!

"why do you always say that?" I scoffed, making her deeply sigh. I'm so bummed!

"nah!, just forget what I just said. we better get going"