chapter 3 | I don't like you

I managed to take a shower and wash my hair after I woke up. Today was the day I go around town with Jack, great right? No, but I promised Ashton I would try to get along with him. Maybe he's not that bad?

I walked back into my room, towel covering my torso as I turned and opened the door to my drawers. There I put on my undergarments and walked back over to my closet. Fiddling my fingers over the hangers, my eyes tried to spot something to wear. Taking out a pair of denim jeans, I pulled them up my legs and grabbed a thin, maroon colored shirt which was left out loosely and comfortably. I moved towards my bed with the pair of socks and low top white converse and quickly put them on. Once that was done, I ran a quick brush and blow drier down my damp hair to put it up in a messy French braid in the top and a bun on the side. Layering layers of mascara over my lashes, I later applied some lip balm over my chapped lips and quickly put some powder around cheeks.

Finally, I grabbed my light brown jacket and headed out towards the kitchen where a voice similar to my cousin's rang around the space.

"I told you, I'm just running a little late!" He sounded pissed at the person on the other line.

I walked over to the kitchen behind him, ignoring what he was doing and opening the door to the refrigerator.

My eyes skimmed the objects he had which was nothing really. Someone really needed to go grocery shopping for actual food and not just chips and beer and I'm afraid that someone is going to have to be me.

I pulled out a bottle of orange juice I spotted behind a box of Red Bull energy drink moments later. Closing the door and walking over to the cabinets I pulled out a tall glass cup and set it on the counter top. Ashton was still yelling at the other person on the line, I doubt he even noticed I was behind him.

"Okay, just give me 10 minutes." He spoke a little more relaxed before hanging up and throwing his phone across the couch in front of him.

I looked down and finished pouring the juice onto the glass before looking back up at him run a hand frustratingly through his hair.

"Everything okay there?" I chuckled setting the bottle down besides the glass as I walked over to the other end where I spotted a loaf of toast bread.

When I turned to walk back over to the toaster that was already set out, I saw Ashton has turned around to notice me. The look on his face was pretty shocked.

"Oh, Zoey?" He cleared his throat. "You're up already?"

"Well, your friend made it pretty clear that I had to be up and ready by 9, remember?" I spoke with the least enthusiasm possible while popping the slice of bread into the toaster and pressing the button down.

"Oh, right." He replied.

"Who was that on the phone you were talking with?" I furrowed my eyebrows as I took a sip from the glass cup of orange juice.

Ashton sighed, going back to button his short sleeve white dress shirt. "My boss."

"And since when do employees yell at their boss?" I giggled.

"We're cool, we went to college together."

"You went to college?" I asked reassuringly. Ashton always complained about going to college, he said is just wasn't meant for him.

"Just the first semester." He replied, grabbing a blue tie and wrapping it around his neck.

I couldn't help but start quietly laughing to myself as I watched him struggle to get the tie tied like it's suppose to.

"What's so funny?" He arched a brow at me.

"Do you want some help with that?" I chuckled, pointing at his tie.