chapter 6 | a gig to remember

The crowd got bigger as night drew on. I haven't seen Ashton in almost an hour now. I assume he's been backstage with the other bands and getting ready to play soon because after all, this will start in a few minutes or so.

Shawn had left his shift from the bar not so long ago because he had to start fixing himself up and his equipment. Sarah on the other hand came back in a new outfit and hairdo to sit next to me by the bar. We talked for a while until she got a call and started going crazy around the place looking for some guy named Johnson to take over the shift in the bar. She fled away and I haven't seen her since.

So it all leads back to me.. All alone at a bar with a half full bottle of beer and not a joy to spare on my face.

From the corner of my eye I saw someone come up to the bar. I didn't pay much attention to them and pulled out my phone to look at the time. 11:05.

"Excuse me.." A deep voice asked from the male that stepped in next to me. I turned around and felt my eyes grow in interest with how breath taking he actually was.

"Y-yeah?" I uttered, mentally punching myself for sounding like that.

He chuckled at my stuttering, his voice was deep and his smile grew wide.

"Sorry but.. Is there a bartender around here?" He chuckled, brown eyes sparkling at me.

I looked around and remembered that Sarah still wasn't back with Johnson to take over.

"That's what I'd like to know." I giggled.

When I looked back at the guy, I noticed he had walked past me and over to the entrance of the bar. I watched him with caution and curiosity. I even took the urge to look around and see if anyone else was noticing what he was doing.

"Would you like something?" He turned back to me, smiling as he prepared himself a drink.

I quickly shook my head. "Uh.. That's okay." I smiled putting up my bottle. "I'm good."

"If you say so." He chuckled, looking back down in front of him where he was finishing his drink.

"Uh.. Are you sure you could be doing that?" I asked.

He turned around with his drink prepared in his hand and smiled. "I'm sure they wouldn't mind."

I looked at him skeptically. "Are you Jake?"

He laughed with what I said, shaking his head the next moment. "My name's Matthew." He took a sip from drink. "And you are..?"

"Zoey." I smiled.

He put his drink down once he stood in front of me, arms resting on the bar's countertop. "Nice to meet you, Zoey." He chuckled. "So.. Can I ask? What is a girl like you doing here all alone?"

I rolled my eyes, smiling towards his question. "I'm not alone and I came here because my cousin made me."

"Well where is she now?" He smirked looking down at me and slowly biting his lower lip.

"He is actually backstage." I corrected him. "He's playing tonight with his band."

"Oh really?" He grew surprised. "What's your cousin's band?"

I thought about it for a moment. I remember Ash mentioning the name on the car ride here. "Um.. 21?" I finally answered.

He furrowed his eyebrows, pondering over the name. "Are they new?"

I nodded my head. "Yeah, tonight's their first gig."

21 was the name. I now remember Ashton telling me that they picked that because it was the day they started their band, July 21st. and they had nothing else planned.