chapter 40. | the arrangment

Zoey's Point of View.

My legs carried me around the backstage room of the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show, bumping and stumbling upon the people who stood in my way. I had my eyes focused on the back of Ashton's head, and I wasn't about to lose him.

"ASHTON!" I called out. "ASHTON WAIT!"

He only walked quicker with the sound of my call. Feeling my legs rise with heat, I ignored the pain and kept following behind him. His name kept replaying off my mouth.

There came a moment where he finally stopped.

I immediately stopped myself from crashing into his back. Before I could look up, Ashton turned around. His gaze dropped on me, flames ignited from his features. The stern look of solid anger was yet to be wiped off his face.

"Why are you still following me?" He eyes pinned in anger.

The emotion he gave off was intimidating. Everything about him: his eyes, his expression, even his tone.. There was none of it and that was scary..

"Leave me alone, Zoey." He started to spin back around.

I grabbed a hold of his arm before he could fully turn. He was not walking away from me. Not after I spent a good two minutes chasing behind him.

Ashton's eyes trailed from my hand on his arm to my wide eyes. Pinning his eyes one last time, he gave me another nasty look. With that, he rapidly angrily swayed his arm away from my hold.

I nervously swallowed the lump on my throat as his eyes looked right through my soul.

"Ash.."

"I can't believe you, Zoey." He later interrupted me. His tone replicating complete disappointment. "How long were you with him?"

I closed my eyes and inhaled deeply. Seeing his reaction was going to kill me the most.

"Since Coachella." My eyes opened again, deciding that I had to stand up for myself and face my problems.

Ashton's eyes went blank. I could tell he was getting anxious by the way he placed a hand over his belt and the other rubbing his stubbled chin. His eyes made it difficult to look at me.

"Three months." He sighed.

I felt a rush of adrenaline strike through my body as he looked back at me. The hand he held over his chin fell to the other side of his waist; gripping the belt.

"You've been with Jack for three months, and never bothered to tell me?" He raised his voice, taking a step closer to me.

His body now shadowed over my small one. My eyes looked around the room and noticed we've caught the attention of a couple of people.. Models and important people included. Now I was really terrified.

"Ash, this isn't the place..."

"No." He interrupted. "This is the perfect place." A sarcastic smile curved upon his lips. "You knew I was on to you about dating someone. I told you I suspected you were dating.. Why didn't you tell me it was Jack?!"