chapter 20 | meet the parents

"Pass me that pillow!" Ashton pointed over towards the object besides me. I quickly launched it back at him, nearly having it hit the ground before he caught it. We rushed back to work the second after."

Today is Sunday. If you don't recall today's the day my parents are coming to visit. Being the uptight and perfectionist people they are, they expect this place to be good enough for me keep living in. This vacation will determine everything for me. Ashton too. Since I'm living under his roof, it's necessary for my parents to get a good notice of how Ashton behaves too.

We told the guys not to come over today. They were suppose to all be here when Matthew's Dad, Michael, called over to say if the band was back in the gig. But since plans took a turn down the wrong lane, we had to switch plans and decided on going over to Shawn's place. We couldn't have them over. My parents don't even know about Ashton's band. More the less, if they were to find out, my mother would flip. Not that my father would mind, he'd use it as an excuse to get me out of college, out of Nebraska, and back over to Washington. Plus, it wouldn't be so pleasant if my parents see that all who ever come here are boys, Sarah at times. Therefore, it's better if they're not here for the sake of all of us.

"Kitchen is done." I called back at Ashton. He was still fixing the area around the living room, tidying up some couch pillows and TV controls.

I watched him stand up straight. He looked around to see if everything was okay before looking back up. "Living room.. Done." He checked off.

"Is that it?" I asked back.

"Yep." He shook his head.

I couldn't have felt more relieved to have head him say those words. We've spent literally the whole morning working to get this place neat again since last night was a ruckus with the guys here til 2 a.m.

The door bell rang. Our heads shot up with our eyes growing wide.

They're here.

Immediately grabbing our things in place, Ashton sprinted towards the front door. Me following behind him. I felt my heart beat at an immense speed. Seeing my parents wasn't overall easy if what you're trying to do is for everything to go well.

We reached the door, giving each other a look before giving it a turn. The door opened.

"Zoey!" My mother was the first one to jump in and embrace me, kissing my cheeks repeatedly. Her blond hair tickling the tip of my nose. I was always happy to see my mother mostly because she's easier to talk with than my father and a happier person in general. From the looks of it, she was Ashton's favorite too.

"Hey Aunt Julie." Ash smiled as she went over to hug him too.

My eyes trailed me back over to my father who stood stiffly waiting behind my mother. Their luggage was in his hands, eyes making sure to avoid mine.

"Dad." I let it out in a cough, looking away from him.

"Zoey." He dipped his head.

Ash invited them in, helping out my father with the luggage. There was a complete moment of silence in the room, also consisting with a bunch of stares. I'm so happy I wasn't going through this alone. Ashton has always been more social. I'm so happy he's here with me today.

"So uh.. How was the trip?" He smiled, dropping the luggage in a corner.

My Dad kept looking around, almost as if he was trying to find an imperfection to point out. Mom didn't really mind that stuff, I'm actually surprised they've lasted this long.

"Fine." My father responded, dark blue eyes stopping to look at my mother.

Not minding him, my mother looked back at Ash and I.