chapter 41. | home

Zoey's Point Of View:

Ever heard of the saying: Home Is Where The Heart Is?

According to the urban dictionary, it's means that your home will always be the place for which you feel the deepest affection, no mater where you are.

As of today, that meaning in bullshit.

It's been more than a week since we got back from Paris. Since Ashton found out about Jack and I. My Home has been my least favorite place to be in. Not only has Ashton been ignoring me every single day since we got back, but he's also made my life miserable. I've received letters from the university to which he never notified me of. He takes the car and doesn't tell me where he's headed off to, a custom I got comfortable with him doing before. He's missing for hours, days even. When he shows up, he's a mess and again-- Doesn't speak. I'm late to work all the time now, because Ashton, who used to wake me up in the morning, stopped coming into my room. There's no laundry done.. Ever. Now that was something Ashton did a lot of. He gets takeout at night for himself, it's up to me to decide when I get home what I what to eat that night. I either make something myself or order in. He won't get it. He spends his day in his room. I would lucky if I saw him twice in a day.

He doesn't speak to me, and that's worse than the arguing. The guys don't even come here anymore. They meet over at Shawn and Sarah's now. I am not welcomed there so it's been weeks since I've seen them. Jack doesn't even dare to step inside Ash's place. If he wants to see me, he'll call and I'll meet him down the block where he'll pick me up.

I never resented Ashton's house. It was always so welcoming, so full of love. Now it's a dull, and sad pad. The lights are rarely turned on. TV hasn't been on since we came back.

The depression was getting to me. I failed an exam at school, the first exam I ever failed. My parents took notice in my grades and quickly called to check  in on me. I explained I was only going through some stuff and with that they left it alone. I didn't think they were going to allow this, but I became surprised when I asked to move out of Ashton's place and into the University-- and they agreed.

Two weeks later and I can finally say I'm going to move into a dorm. Finally, the real university experience I was waiting for.

I turned in all the housing papers to the office and they were going to investigate where they could put  me in with. I would be lucky enough if there was space yet, but I wasn't giving up just yet.

It's clear when someone doesn't want you in their home. It's a horrible feeling too because the last thing I want is to bother anyone. Jack even offered for me to move in with him and Sam, but I denied it. They're already full in that small apartment. Not to mention, Sam's regular visitors. Besides, moving in with Jack would only complicate things even more. Moving in to campus was the best option for me.

"Okay class, pencils down." The professor instructed. "Remember your papers are due by the end of the semester. The grade you get on your paper will go towards your midterm grade and some of you could really use the help. The subject could be anything you want. A feeling. An experience. Nonfiction or fiction. Just impress me with your writing skills."

I closed my laptop screen and shoved it in my bag. Just as I finished, the class was dismissed and everyone started to sit up.

We were in a huge auditorium. 300 people at least came rushing down the stairs to exit the class. I was midway out the door when I heard my name being called by the professor's desk.