chapter 46. | tis the season

I drove up the old driveway, that is, the driveway that used to be mine, in Jack's car. It's been weeks since I last came to this house, Ash's home. My room has been cleared for months, ever since I moved in with Riley. But given the circumstances, coming back home for a visit was just what I needed.

The key was still in my keychain. It was the one that stood out most because being the crazy cousin he is, Ashton didn't realize it and ordered a key decorated in a pink color with purple dots. I laughed; remembering the day he showed up with the key for me. He was so embarrassed by it.

My hand turned the knob, opening the door to let myself inside.

"Hello?" I called out. "Ash it's me!" The door was closed behind me.

It was always a surprise to see come into the house and not knowing what you'd walk into. Today, today was probably the craziest I've seen yet.

Pine. Pine was everywhere! Boxes, old and new, opened and closed, we're all over the place.

Ash was in the back, holding up the biggest Christmas tree I've seen. The tree seemed to be winning in their fight for support. Oh Ash..

"Uhh.. What happened?" I asked, moving a huge door reef from my way. "It looks like Christmas threw up in here?"

Ashton grunted, surprisingly standing up the tree in the corner of the living room behind the two window sills. He sighed, admiring his work before turning back to look at me.

"Pass me that box." Ashton called out, reaching his hand out towards the object behind me.

I turned around, finding the box of lights he wanted and handing it back to him.

"Thanks."

He looked stressed. Hair was a mess, he wore baggy gym shorts and a t shirt. Again, full of pine leaves.

Was Ashton decorating for Christmas?

Ashton never decorated. The holidays are his least favorite times of the year. Even as kids, Ash would be that one kid sitting out on every family event. He was least jolliest person I've ever met.

"I thought Ashton Green didn't do Christmas?" I couldn't help but chuckle, dropping my bag onto the couch chair by the tv.

"Did you get Matt's text?" He asked looking back at me.

I furrowed my eyebrows, shaking my head no.

Ashton began to speak as I pulled my phone out, quickly scrolling through my messages. I've been so busy with Jack that I've completely lost track of my phone.

"His father let him throw this year's Christmas party.. And guess where Matt asked to have it..." He continued.

My eyes widened.

"Here?" I paused. "Why?"

"He said my house has Character..?" Ashton looked back at me with the same expression I had on my face. Confusion.

What the heck was Matt thinking? This house is nice and very well cared for. Not to mention, it's fully renovated but that still doesn't mean it could fit 200 of Nebraska's most successful men and women in it.