chapter 23 | under cover

Hey everyone! So I'm going to start a new thing where every update I'll dedicate a chapter to one of the stories fans! It's the least I can do to show my appreciation for everything you guys do! Keep it up! You are very much loved!! Keep reading to see if one day it'll be you! xoxo

Dedicated to: Gilinswagsky

I woke up to the sounds of heavy thunder. It was still night, the light from the lightning flashed through the think curtains of Jack's room. I'm guessing it's been raining for a while and Jack noticed it before I did because the window that was once open was now closed. The room wasn't as cold anymore, but there was a nice warm feeling beneath me. Jack. I sighed, relief washing over me, glad to have awaken from the awful dream.

My body relaxed, reassured of the fact that my parents told me the truth tonight and my half brother didn't want to make my life miserable. Now, I don't know if that's a fact for sure but it'd be the worst thing that could happen. All I want is to have that brother-sister relationship. How will that ever happen if I'm being judged for my past in which I had no fault in?

I found myself in awe as the angry weather outside continued to provide striking flashes of light. Jack's beautiful face illuminated for seconds at a time before the room was plunged into gloom again.

Even in the dim light I could see his jaw was tensed. Seems like I wasn't the only one with nightmares tonight. Long lashes rested on the top of his cheeks. My mind wandered back to what he had told me before we went to sleep. My heart ached with the obviously painful memories of Adriana and Sam. My fingers curiously touched over the warm skin on his stomach that had been revealed by the fallen covers. The touch travelled lightly up his chest, trailing up to his neck. My fingertips ghosted over his lips before pushing back some of his hair from his forehead.

My thoughts were abruptly interrupted when Jack shot up, the loud weather yanking him from sleep. His hands instantly finding mine, pulling me to his body as he breathed heavily.

"Jack, it's just thunder." I whispered, attempting to calm him down.

His arm protectively wrapped around my body. My fingers moved in smooth circles across his bare skin as I gradually felt his muscles relax.

"Stay." He mumbled beneath his breath, something I figured he was talking about in his sleep.

"I'm not going anywhere."

-

I squinted my eyes at the bright light peeking through the edges of the curtains. The sounds of rain drops falling against the window pane only brought to mind that the weather remained the same from last night. But there was something else that wasn't the same..

My hand felt around to the spot besides me. Just like the last time I spent the night here, it was empty.

I don't know why Jack is never here when I wake up. It's not that I wake up too late, it still seems like early morning if you ask me. So what it is? I don't like waking up by myself after a night like that.

Moving up from the messy sheets, I walked up to the mirror. Once I was satisfied with my look, I walked out. There were faint voices coming from the kitchen. I followed it and it led me to walk into a conversation I don't think was meant for my ears to hear.

They stopped immediately once they saw me standing by the door frame, both guys turning around to look at me.

All I remember catching was Sam saying 'I can't find him.'

"Zoey." Jack sounded shocked. Nervous even when he saw me try to make up what it was they were talking about that was so secretive towards me.

"You can't find who?" I asked looking back at Sam. If there's one thing I learned from him is that he always tells me the truth, no matter what Jack says. He'll tell me for sure.