Chapter Thirteen: Brother

After Luke's and I's moment on the ferris wheel, he offered to come with me. I really didn't see no harm in it, considering Luke was Ashton's best friend, maybe he could help me figure out what was going on with him.

Ashton's been really on edge lately, always huffing and not wanting to talk about certain things. I didn't understand, as far as I knew, I haven't done anything wrong. I really enjoyed our friend ship and I thought he was too, maybe he was getting tired of hanging out with me. I couldn't blame him, I am not that interesting.

Luke and I parted ways, he told me he would see me when we both got to Ashton's.

I arrive first, pulling Taylor's black car up in the driveway. I try calling Ashton, just to make sure he was home or if he was okay for me to come over.

"Ashton, why are you not answering?" I say when he doesn't pick up for the second time.

I get out of the car, realizing he can ignore me but not if I get into his house first.

I knock on the door and wait a few seconds before I hear a faint shout, "Go away!" It sounded like.

"Ashton, open up. You need to talk to me." I say, hopefully loud enough to hear me.

I didn't notice Luke's car pull up because the next moment he was standing beside me, yelling at Ashton too.

"Ashton! Open the fucking door! Stop being a prick!" He shouts, more than likely loud enough for the entire neighborhood to hear.

Ashton opens up the door.

"Of course you brought him." He says when he sees Luke and I standing side-by-side.

"Well, yea. He's your best friend Ashton and I really just want to know what's going on." I say and try to ignore the look on Ashton's face.

"I'll talk to you Hazel, but not him." He says and points to Luke.

I look up to Luke, hoping that he'd leave. I really wanted to know what was going on with my best friend.

"That's my cue to go." Luke mumbles and walks down Ashton's pathway, to his car.

"Can I come in, or are we gonna sit here like strangers?" I say to Ashton with a hand on my hip, hoping to get a smile out of him.

It works as he smiles and opens up the door. "Yes Ms. London."

I step inside and immediately start questioning him.

"So what's wrong?" I ask and sit down on his couch, pulling my legs up under me so I can look at him on the other end of the same couch.

He scoffs and looks down at the floor.

"You're pretty oblivious." He states and looks over to me, a sad smile is on his lips, making my heart break. Ashton was always happy and I felt like I had done something wrong to make a fake smile take place instead of his real one.

"What-"

"You're oblivious Hazel."

"You already said that Ashton." I say and roll my eyes.

"You don't get it, do you?" He says and looses the fake smile which is replaced with pure sadness.

"Apparently I don't." I say and sigh, I really don't understand. I don't know why my friend was faking a smile, why he was calling me oblivious, or why he wasn't being himself. He better tell me what the hell was going on because I honestly can't take sad Ashton any longer.

"I like you Hazel." He says and I smile, of course Ashton likes me. We're best friends and I love him like a friend.

"I like you too Ashton." I smile at him and he shakes his head.

"No Hazel, I like you. Not as a friend, not as a sister, but I like you. I like you a fucking lot."

He gets frustrated and runs a hand through his hair and stands up, right in front of me.

"But you don't like me like that! No! You like that asshole out there who picked on you!"

I look at Ashton, in shock. Taking in that he liked me was one thing but he was also yelling and I wasn't used to it.

When you look at Ashton, you see pure joy and happiness and when you look at him now, he looks broken, sad, pissed off. I can't help feel like it's my fault.

"Ashton-"

"No, Hazel. I fucking like you and all that asshole ever did was pick on you and call you names! Have I ever fucking done that to you? No! I fucking take you everywhere, I worked for your trust but you're still love struck by Luke. Do you think this is fair? Do you?" He shouts and walks away from me.

"Ashton!" I get up and follow him.

I was still taking all this information in but I wasn't about to loose my best friend.

I catch up to him and put my hand on his shoulder. "Ashton-"

I'm shocked with what happens, his lips on mine in a quick hurried motion. Nothing like Luke but this felt wrong, like I was kissing my brother.

I push him back, gently. I really didn't want to upset him any further than he already was.

"I think I love you Hazel. I know it's only been about a week but I really think I love you."

No, oh no. He didn't just say that. I can't be with Ashton, I really liked him but not in the way he likes me. I didn't want to tell him that though, he appeared to be in enough pain.

"I'm sorry Ashton."

And with that, I was out the door, on my way home.