Chapter 3: Ride

"Don't care what you gotta say." - Baby Ariel

Sometimes I just stand there and watch people walk through the city and wonder where they've been.

That's what I was doing at the moment. I was in a lotus position on a bench near the school, waiting for my first class to begin. Except I wasn't in the city, I was in this small town.

That's what I used to do when I was in Florida with my father. We watched people come in and out of their houses and stores, and he would make up stories about each person just to entertain me while Paula would jot ideas down to write her own stories.

I witnessed a loud engine deafening in the distance and looked up.

Of course, his eyes met mine the instant I met his. I forced myself to cast away as he turned left and right into the parking lot to park his bike.

Even though we are cool right now, I don't want to get too attached to him. I don't know him that well yet.

I grabbed my school bag and slated for the entrance myself before I could run into him.

No, I wasn't going to ignore him. I just wanted to stay away from him as much as possible.

That's the same thing.

Almost.

I tried to reach the corridor myself as fast as I could but when I walked down the halls to find my locker, he was already there, standing right in front of my locker. I exhaled and turned around, heading for the cafeteria.

"You're trying to keep your distance from me and why is that?" The sound of his voice made me jump.

"What do you want?" I asked harshly without looking back to face him.

"I was just going to kill Chris if he came near your locker again. Why? You're still on the whole 'I hate you' mode?"

That's when I turned around. "I can protect myself."

"I was just doing you a favor." He looked disappointed and hurt. "Sasha, I thought we were okay now."

"Yeah, but that doesn't mean we're friends now. I can't tell you what it is but there is a reason why I can't let anyone walk into my life. I think it's really sweet of you to open up to me but... it's probably different for me than it is for you."

I marched past him when the first bell rang. I was surprised he didn't follow me, history was our first class together.

Instead, he took the hall to his left. Maybe he was skipping class. I hoped so.

I expected another fall to the floor when I got closer to Mr. Beech's classroom but I ended up tripping over my own feet because I was so used to being thrust against it.

When I turned around, all I saw were other students going their own way to class, completely neglecting me. There was no Chris or any of his friends behind me. I'm still that old clumsy Sasha that everyone hates.

Luke was already sitting there when I got to class so I slumped into my seat with a huge sigh. Mr. Beech walked in and began class when I felt a nudge on my arm.

"What do you mean it's different for you?" He whispered.

"Luke, we can't talk about this right now." I leaned forward as far as possible.

His touch affects me just like everything else about him does.

I wanted him to stop effecting me the way he did, but then again, I didn't. It felt good.