Chapter 9: Broken

"But I'll be here in this stranger's room, just for now." - Hailee Steinfeld

I shut the door behind me when I got home, smiling to myself. The kiss was so breathtaking, I couldn't resist him. I wanted him so badly and every kiss I got, I wanted more.

I stood there for a while before making my way to the kitchen to feed myself a snack. It was seven in the evening so I didn't bother making myself supper.

"Sasha!" I heard a familiar voice scream behind me.

Robert.

I gradually turned around and saw Robert standing in the doorway. He looked angry. I mean, very angry.

I took a step back as he came closer to me. "Where's my beer? And how come you only got home now?"

I put my hands up. "Uh, I had to go to work─"

"Work is more important than me having beer, huh?" He was only a few inches away from me, spitting as he spoke.

No, duh. I'd rather earn money than waste it on you.

Before I could even anticipate it, I got punched in the jaw. I heard a cracking sound as I fell to the floor. There was a hard kick in my back and I moaned loudly in pain. I stayed on the floor, expecting more abusive moves. But I was in so much agony I couldn't even move around to see if Robert was still there.

When I opened my eyes, Robert was standing right before me, with a steel baseball bat in his hands. I gasped as I tried to move back and stand up. But I blackened out right after I heard the sound of my leg bones crack.

☆☆☆☆

I had no idea what time it was when I woke up, but it was dark outside. That's where my eyes opened up to first, the darkness of the sky through the kitchen window.

I groaned in pain as I tried to sit up. I threw my head back onto the ground, feeling the jolting pain in my jaw and my back as I tried my best not to scream.

I stuck my hand in my jean pocket and took out my phone.

"9-1-1," I mumbled as I dialed the number.

"9-1-1, how can I help you?" The lady at the end of the other line answered.

"I can't-get up, m-my leg is broken and so is my ja-jaw. And I have no other way of ge-getting a ride," I stuttered into the phone.

"Just be patient, don't try to move. We just sent an ambulance and it should be there in about five minutes," the lady assured me after I gave her the address.

"Thank you," I sighed.

I was grateful they didn't use the annoying sirens when the arrived. They walked through my house until the found me lying deadly on the floor.

"Yeah, she's definitely going to need casts," one of them said.

Another paramedic picked me up and I screamed in distress. They set me on the bed in the ambulance and drove off.

LUKE

I knocked on Robert's front door the next morning, hoping Sasha would open it.

I waited for a minute. No answer.

I knocked again. No answer.

I tried calling her. No answer.

I texted her. No answer.

Was she working today? She'd told me yesterday she wasn't but I went anyway.  Since our first kiss yesterday, I haven't been able to get her off my mind. I knew that this was only the beginning, so I had to take it slow with her, or at least try.

I opened the door to Acadia and saw Sasha's boss behind the counter.

"Um, excuse me. Do you happen to know where Sasha is?" I asked.

"Last time I saw her was yesterday noon," she answered politely.

"Is she working at all today?"

"She doesn't work until the end of this week."

"Okay, thanks."

"Have a good day."

I traipsed out and went back to her mom's boyfriend's place. Maybe Robert was home and I could ask him. Although, considering to Sasha, he was a complete douche.

I knocked on the door before barging into the house and realized that Sasha was right. It looked like hell all over the place.

"Hello? Anyone home?" I shouted.

"What do you want?" Someone asked irritatingly from down the hall.

I walked toward the sound, down the hall and into a room where Robert was lying on the coach with a bottle of beer and vodka in his hands.

"Where's Sasha?" I asked.

"Last time I checked, in the kitchen."

I looked around the house, trying to find the kitchen. I saw nothing but I baseball bat lying on the floor. What did Sasha want with a bat? Or was it Robert that had left it there?

"She's not in here," I shouted to Robert.

"I really don't care where she is," he yelled back.

Wow. What a great father he was going to be once him and Paula got married. It killed me that Sasha was forced to live under the same roof as him.

"Sasha?" I called. She wasn't on the coach because that's where Robert was. I inspected every single room in the house, including the bathroom.

"Sasha?!" I shouted louder, starting to panic.

Where could she be?

"Sasha?!!"

Okay, I was really starting to get worried.

I tried calling her again, only to end up hearing a phone ringing from down the hall. The sound was coming from the kitchen. She was here. Why hadn't she said anything? Was she dead? Had Robert killed her?

Stupid thoughts, please shut up.

I ended the call and still found no sight of Sasha. I saw her phone lying under the table, but Sasha herself wasn't there.

I grabbed her phone from under the table. Two missed calls from me were noted on her notification bar. Thankfully, her phone was unlocked. Maybe I could find some evidence to where she was.

I opened up her phone log. Below my missed calls was a phone call to 9-1-1. Why would she call 9-1-1?

Was there an accident? Accident. Where do people usually go to when they're injured or killed? Maybe that explained the baseball bat in the kitchen.

She was in the hospital. I put her phone in my pocket, ran out the door and back home. I jumped on my motorcycle and drove out of town and into the city. Maybe it was crazy of me to jump to the conclusion that this was all Robert's fault, but I couldn't think of anyone else who would hurt Sasha like that. But then again, I still didn't know her well enough.
But that's not what mattered right now.

I parked my bike when I arrived and ran into the entrance of the hospital.

SASHA

"Sasha, eat something," the nurse begged.

I ignored her.

I tried to move the uncomfortable sweaty cast off my neck that was holding my jaw back in place.

"No, don't do that." The nurse gently took my hands off the excruciating cast.

"Is there a family member you would like to see?"

Paula. But no, she wasn't back from Los Angeles yet, and I could not let her know what her boyfriend really was. I couldn't let it break her heart that her boyfriend abused her own daughter.

"No," I answered.

I didn't really want Luke to see me like this for some strange reason, but I couldn't help but wonder why he hadn't come to see me yet.

"Okay, let us know if you need anything. But try to eat something, alright?"

And with that, she left the room. I needed my bracelet so bad right now. I needed luck. My good luck bracelet was gone. Anger rose up in my body. I was angry. At Chris and his imbecile friends and Robert. I kicked the bed with all my might, screaming in pain as I kicked with my broken leg.

"Hey, hey, hey." A doctor ran into the room. "It's okay, honey. Calm down, you're going to be alright."

I tried to shove him away but he wouldn't budge until I calmed down and started crying myself to sleep, wondering if I would ever make it out of this hell hole.