Chapter 34: Wings

"Treat your body right." - Martin Jensen

Sasha

"Luke, tell me that you didn't move back to LA because of another girl."

"I can't, because it is," he finally admitted. "But before you jump to any further conclusions, first let me explain."

"Please," I begged.

He sighed and began. "My former girlfriend called me after I tried to visit you at the hospital. It was the first time she called since we moved to Bar Harbor so I thought she had something important to tell me. When I picked up, she was crying like... like she was in so much pain. I tried to get her to tell me what was wrong but she wouldn't answer.

"So, she told me to visit her for a few days. Me and my family headed back, and then she starts begging me to stay, my sisters begin to complain how much they miss Los Angeles, my parents missed their jobs and their old friends, and I... I guess I started to miss Kat. But, I promise you, Sasha, nothing ever happened between us. She tried to but I didn't let it go that far because I knew that I didn't feel the same way about her anymore, because I had already met you. And no matter how far you are, you will always be the closest to my heart."

"Why didn't you just say that? I would've understood that."

"Well, I couldn't. I felt like it would be more appropriate if I told you in person, and because after what your mother's ex-boyfriend did to you, I knew it would just break your heart even more."

He definitely made a good point.

"No matter how many times you break my heart, you always know how to mend it back together," I confessed.

"Yeah, well, what breaks my heart is when I break yours. That's something I will feel and regret for the rest of my life."

"I'm sorry."

"Stop. My actions aren't your fault. It's all on me."

"I'm still sorry."

He began to unbutton his shirt.

"Um... what is it exactly that you're doing?" I asked.

"But there's something else I did while I was in LA missing you," he said.

I glanced over at his naked chest and my eyes widened.

"I don't know about you, but even if we don't have a future together, there's a part of you that will always be in my heart forever," he explained.

"You got a tattoo... with my name on it," I uttered.

He literally had my name tattood right on top of where his heart was placed, with a small heart at the end of my name.

"Oh, Luke." I draped my arms over his shoulders and pulled him in for a long kiss.

Oh, how I missed that feeling.

He was the first one to pull away. "Are you gonna tell me or what?"

"Tell you what?"

"How did you get that scar on top of your head?"

I had never told anyone about the story the day before my father died.

I didn't know if I could, or if I should.

"It's okay. You can trust me," Luke reassured. "I won't tell anyone."

"It's not that." I shook my head and lowered it so that I was looking down at my lap. "I've never told anyone. I never told anyone how I got it, how my father died, how Paula died..."